Police arrest quad trespasser

Daina Amorosano

On Jan. 6, Public Safety was called to Sullivan Hall at 10:50 p.m. for a report of a suspicious individual.

The individual gained entrance to the building after telling a Sullivan resident who was walking into the building at the time that he was waiting to meet someone. Two sophomores and residents of the building noticed him standing on the ground floor of Sullivan.

When public safety officers arrived at the scene and located the individual, he responded vaguely to the simple questions he was asked, such as how he gained entrance into the hall and what were his reasons for being on campus.

Although he did not specifically bother or speak to anybody, based on his somewhat evasive and inconsistent answers, the officers determined that the individual had no business in the residence hall and seemed to be withholding information.

The officers contacted Radnor police, who arrived shortly thereafter and arrested him for criminal trespassing.

He turned out to be a 26-year old who resides in Cyprus, Tex. However, police ascertained that he does have relatives in the Villanova area.

“I think what drew attention to him was that there weren’t many people in the building at the time,” director of Public Safety David Tedjeske said. “He looked out of place hanging out in the hallway, and he made the residents feel uneasy.”

The incident occurred the week before classes began, when the residence hall was sparsely populated, housing only the female students who had come back early for sorority recruitment.

“We wondered if he knew it was just girls on campus for recruitment,” said Brittany Bennett. “When my roommate and I went back to our room, we realized that our third roommate had been the one to let him in.”

However, Tedjeske noted that “it is important to point out that there was no evidence that he had known it was sorority recruitment week,” or that he had any inappropriate intentions.

Tedjeske stressed the importance of using campus incidents as educational opportunities.

“On one level, it is kind of a lesson not to let people into the building,” Tedjeske said. “On another level, I was pleased that the residents called when they saw something suspicious. It never hurts to call us. Even if we determined that he had legitimate business in the building, there was no harm in calling.”