Men, women tennis have rough weekend on courts

Alex Gallucci

Both the men’s and women’s tennis teams were on the road this past weekend, traveling to Boston and Pittsburgh for their respective matches.

Saturday, the men’s team took on the Boston University Terriers (1-12). In the doubles play, Villanova was victorious in two of its three matchups, earning the first point of the match. The team of sophomore Trenton Alenik and freshman Zach Siegler earned an 8-1 victory, while the freshman duo Alex Hanno and Mike Taylor defeated BU’s team of Tim Sichler and Miron Nissim.

In the singles play, the Wildcats won three of the six matches, to defeat the Terriers 4-3. Siegler swept BU’s Alex Green 6-0 in both his matches, while senior Brian Maher also had decisive 6-0 and 6-4 victories in his matches against opponent Bill Kring. The match came down to the final singles point, which Taylor earned with a 2-6, 6-1, 6-3 victory over Regis Chang.

On Sunday, men’s tennis faced non-conference opponent Boston College. The Eagles (11-4) proved to be a tough matchup for the Wildcats, defeating them 7-0, and earning victories in all singles matches and sweeping all three doubles matches.

Sunday was also a hard day for the women’s team, which struggled against the Duquesne Dukes (5-8) in Monroeville, Pa., outside of Pittsburgh. The Dukes captured the doubles points early in all three of its doubles matches to earn the first point.

In the singles play, sophomore Emily Urda was the sole winner for the Wildcats, defeating Samantha Noble 7-5, 3-6, 10-7. Unfortunately for the Wildcats, the Dukes took five of the six singles matches to defeat the Wildcats 6-1.

The women’s team travel across the state again tomorrow to take on conference rival Pittsburgh. The men travel to Lewisburgh, Pa., to play Bucknell at home on Saturday. Both hope to improve on their recent outings.