Track heats up; tennis knocks off UConn

Daniel Madden

By David roman and Daniel madden

staff Reporter

Track and Field

After a busy Easter weekend, both the Villanova men’s and women’s track teams returned home with lots of success. Between April 10-11, the men’s team took part in both the Princeton Quad meet held at Princeton University as well as the Sea Ray Relays held at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville.

At the Princeton Quad Meet, which consisted of teams from Villanova, Rutgers, University of Pennsylvania and Princeton, the men swept the 3000-meter race, while winning in numerous other races. Patrick Mallea won the 3000-meter race with a rapid time of 8:29.28. Coming in a close second was Benjamin Guest at a mark of 8:33.46, while Hugo Beamish came in third with a time of 8:43.16. Also finding success was Robert Sainvil in the triple jump, placing third with a mark of 14.54 meters. Also, in the 800 meter run, Daniel Tully finished a strong third with a time of 1:55.66, while Brian Tetreault came in fourth at 1:56.60. Mark Hogan finished eighth with a mark of 1:56.99. Lastly, Jason Apwah came in a stellar second place in the 1500 meter run with a speedy time of 3:59.33.

At the Sea Ray Relays, the men continued to find victory. Elvis Lewis finished in sixth in the 400-meter run with a time of 47.77, while Stefan Goodridge finished fifth in the 400-meter hurdles with a mark of 53.23.

However, the men weren’t the only ones to succeed in Tennessee, as the women’s team also performed well in Knoxville. In the 1500-meter run, Frances Koons won the event with a stellar time of 4:20.04. Ellen Dougherty finished sixth with a 4:27.84 mark. However, both runners weren’t done, as they, along with Nicole Schappert and Kaitlyn Tallman, combine to win the 4×800-meter relay with a time of 8:52.61. -D.R.

Tennis

With less than favorable conditions outside for tennis, Villanova and Connecticut relocated indoors to the East Hartford Tennis Club, and the Wildcats brought favorable results while playing away from home.

With a mix of cold winter and rainy spring outside, both teams heated it up indoors, but the Wildcats got the better of UConn’s talent and experience and grabbed a strong Big East victory after losing two Big East matches prior, 7-0 to Marquette and 4-3 to Georgetown.

The Villanova men’s tennis team has been unpredictable this year – in their past 10 matches they are .500, including streaks of three wins then three loses in a row. Villanova won 4-3 in UConn’s final regular season match.

Last season the Wildcats and Huskies tied 3-3 in a regular season match and this year proved no different in terms of competition. Close matches defined this Wildcats victory, especially with the doubles point as sophomore John Drosick and junior Alex Leeser beat Joe Goldstein and Ben Schueler, who was honored before the match as a senior captain, 9-8.

The other two victories that made up the doubles point came from sophomore Trenton Alenik and freshman Zach Siegler at No. 2 doubles and freshmen Alex Hanno and Mike Taylor at No. 3. Alenik and Siegler won 8-4 over Andrew Marcus and Scott Warden, while Hanno and Taylor beat Joey Michaels and Tom Cook 8-5.

The doubles point proved to be the key in Villanova’s victory, since the Wildcats and Huskies split in singles. Villanova’s victories came from Alenik, Hanno and sophomore David Shaheen. Shaheen dominated UConn’s Michaels, another honored senior captain, in the first set before taking both sets, 6-0, 6-4. Alenik played tough through both sets winning 7-6, 6-3 over Warden. Hanno beat Dave Adams 6-2, 6-4. Alenik and Hanno both had good days by winning singles as well as doubles. -D.M.