Lambda Pi Eta Honors Communication Students

Kate Dembroski

The Villanova Communication Honors Society, Lambda Pi Eta, held its annual induction ceremony last Saturday, April 18 at Paxon Hollow Country Club in Media, Pa.

The ceremony began with a procession of honored students to the tune of Villanova’s Alma Mater, played by the university string group, Les Six.

After opening remarks by Lamda faculty adviser Stacey Wieland, inductees were honored.

The 39 inductees included seniors, juniors and one sophomore.

Friends and relatives were also in attendance.

Students were honored for their academic achievement and commitment to the communication department through service.

“The ceremony was a great way to wrap up my communication experience and to feel like the hard work I put in over the last four years really meant something,” said senior inductee Katelyn Bruno.

In addition to the induction of new members, the chapter presented Lambda Pi Eta President, senior Stephanie Rollo, with the Pathos Award for her service in promoting excellence in communication throughout the university community.

“I am so honored to have received the Pathos Award,” Rollo said. “Being a part of the Communication Honors Society and the department as a whole has truly added to my experience at Villanova.”

Lambda also presented an Ethos Award, given to a distinguished Villanova alumnus who demonstrates character and, in doing so, excellence in the field of communication.

This year’s recipient was radio anchor Dave Heller, Villanova Class of ’83. Heller currently serves as the host, newscaster and producer of WHYY’s “Morning Edition.”

“The students chose Mr. Heller to be the Ethos Award winner because of his long-term commitment to service through his work in public radio,” Wieland said. “As the host of Morning Edition at WHYY, Heller plays an important role in the organization’s mission to engage the community through news reporting and inform the public about important issues.”

The 2009-10 Lambda Pi Eta executive board was then announced. Current Villanova junior Kathleen McFadden will assume the position of chapter president.

“I’m really excited to work with the new executive board,” McFadden said. “One of our main goals for next year is to build more community between the communication majors, and all executive board members will play an important role in making that a reality.”

A blessing and three-course meal followed the ceremony.

Lambda Pi Eta was initiated by Communication students at the University of Arkansas in 1985.

There are currently over 400 chapters worldwide. Villanova established the 41st chapter (Alpha Rho) in 1993.

Lambda Pi Eta’s mission is to recognize, foster, and reward outstanding scholastic achievement, as well as to stimulate interest in the field of communication and to promote professional development among communication majors.