Sports roundup: Golf finishes sixth place

Nate Meserve

Golf

The men’s golf team, once again led by junior Brendan Kelly, was one of 16 teams that participated over the weekend at the Sea Trail Men’s Intercollegiate Tournament. The tournament, hosted by Elon University, was played at the Reed Jones Course in Sunset Beach, N.C.

The Wildcats performed solidly in the first round, posting a score of 287 and finishing the round tied at sixth place. Brian Colbert paced the Wildcats with a score of 67 which was good for 5 under par.

In the second round, the Wildcats struggled, posting a score of 296, however with the other schools struggling as well, the ‘Cats were still in a respectable position.

Kelly posted a 71 and possessed the best round for the Wildcats, while Colbert finished with a score of 74. However, the rest of the team failed to pick it up.

The Wildcats bounced back in the third round tallying up a score of 287. While it was not enough to drastically move up in the standings, it was an impressive score. Kelly and Colbert finished the round posting a 73 and 75, respectively.

The Wildcats finished the tournament tied for sixth place, which is a great effort and improvement from last week’s McLaughlin Invitational. The star for the Wildcats was Kelly, who finished as tied for 13th overall, 2 under par.

Brian Colbert provided a great opening round, but slipped to finish tied at 20th place, even for the tournament. The other contributors to the ‘Cats effort include freshman Steve Skurla, sophomore Bret McGaughey and junior Colin List.

The overall winner of the tournament was Stetson University, finishing with a remarkable 23 under par for the tournament, led by freshman Micah Jacobsen and sophomore Sam Ryder, who tied for the second best individual performance. Senior David McAndrew and Junior Gabe Costa also supported them. Overall, this talent left other schools in the dust as Stetson University won with a cushion of five strokes.

James Madison University, Campbell University and Belmont Abbey College round out the top five. The host, Elon University, finished tied for sixth, along with our Wildcats, Guilford College and Murray State University. -S.S.

Men’s Tennis

The men’s tennis team continued their fall season with a 5-2 home win over Delaware this past weekend. Villanova took two out of three doubles matches from Delaware and won at spots three to six in singles matches to clinch the victory. Junior Trenton Alenik believes this was a noteworth accomplishment for the team.

“It was a great win for us considering we lost to them 5-2 last year,” he said. “It is a very promising start t our season.”

Because tennis is typically played in the spring, Alenik remarked, “It was [our] only match of the fall season.”

The mens tennis team hopes to continue their good fortunes with a strong showing at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Va., this weekend as they play in an invitational tournament. -N.M.