Take Your Parent to School Day(s)

Lori Vetrano

Parents’ Weekend is coming up, which means Mom and Dad have the chance to see how you live. Why not show them just how awesome it is? There are plenty of fun things to do on and off campus that will show your parents that they made the right choice to send you here.

Go ahead and treat your parents to a well dserved comedy.

“Whose Line is it Anyway” hosts Brad Sherwood and Colin Mochrie will be coming to Villanova on Friday, Sept. 25. The event in the Pavilion will start off Parents’ Weekend on a hilarious note.

Tickets are $15 for students and $20 for family and friends, and can be ordered at Villanova Tix or can be purchased at 108 Dougherty. Get them now while they’re still available!

Give Mom and Dad a chance to show their Villanova spirit. Sport some ‘Nova gear and head over to the stadium to watch the football team play against Northeastern at 3:30 p.m on Saturday.

Tickets are $20 for adults and $5 for children 12 years old and younger. (Don’t forget about the tailgating beforehand!)

Every year, the Campus Activities Team organizes a trip to the Parkway.

Students get the chance to visit museums, restaurants and cultural institutions-all for the sweet price that is music to every college kid’s ear: free.

It just so happens that this year, College Day has fallen on the Saturday of Parents’ Weekend, which means parents get to experience this event and visit Philly all while spending some quality family time together.

Buses will leave from West Campus at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Go to Villanova Tix or pay with WildCard or cash in 108 Dougherty. Treat Mom and Dad to a unique dining experience by bringing them to the One Book Villanova dinner, where students and parents can discuss this year’s selection.

The book of topic will be “Rooftops of Tehran” by Mahbod Seraji, with a keynote speaker discussing its themes and concepts and a panel for discussion to follow afterward.

Haven’t read it yet? Don’t sweat it-you still have one more day to speed read. Attend if you want some good food, discussions and company.

What parents wouldn’t love a good show at the theater? Take Mom and Dad to see Edward Albee’s “The Zoo Story” at Vasey Theatre. The show only consists of two leading male actors and a dog, but it will keep you and your parents captivated from beginning to end and even after the show is over.

Showtimes are Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. Ticket prices range from $20 to $24.

You probably eat or do your homework there daily without ever thinking about it, but it’s actually a great place to take your mom and dad.

Treat Dad to a coffee at Holy Grounds, and let Mom taste a deliciously healthy smoothie from the Energy Zone.

After you’re finished eating and drinking, challenge them to a game of pool or ping pong.

There are plenty of places to have free, relaxing fun with the family.

Toss a Frisbee around on Sheehan Beach or play some volleyball on the courts behind McGuire Hall on South Campus. Play tennis or shoot some hoops on the courts by Driscoll or on South Campus.

It’s the second largest mall in America. Enough said. If Mom and Dad don’t feel like driving anymore, catch the shuttle on Friday and Saturday from 6 p.m. – 12:10 a.m. from East Main Lot, and get dropped off and picked up at T.G.I. Friday’s at the King of Prussia Plaza.

If Mom and Dad can handle vertigo then take them to see “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs” in IMAX.

If they’re interested in scary or disturbing movies, go see “Jennifer’s Body” or “Final Destination.” If comedy is more their style, try “Extract.”

If they’re typically conservative parents, take them to see “Julie and Julia” (if Mom’s picking the movie) or “Inglorious Bastards” (if it’s Dad’s choice).

It may be the second oldest shopping mall in the U.S., but its still here and has plenty of places to shop! It has family friendly stores (Urban Outfitters for you, Ann Taylor for Mom, J.Crew for Dad) and plenty of restaurants.

Take the R100 on South Campus to Ardmore for easy transportation.

Who doesn’t-or wouldn’t-love South Street?

It’s famous for its many diverse and unique stores. It’s a Philly experience that no family should miss!

Take the R5 to 30th Street and walk or take a cab to South Street.

We know you’re working hard in classes all day long, and the last thing you need is something else that’s educational. But how can you resist stopping by the Independence National Historical Park, the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall and the National Constitutional Center?

Mom and Dad will love it-and as much as you hate to admit it, you probably will too. But if it really is that torturous, then just head to the Gallery afterward and go on a shopping spree!

Take the train from West Campus right to 30th Street Station.