Fall recruitment under way for Greek chapters

Katie Eder

Continuous Open Recruitment for sororities and fall recruitment for fraternities began with two information sessions on Sept. 2.

The sorority chapters participating in COR are Alpha Delta Pi, Kappa Kappa Gamma, and Pi Beta Phi.

Chapters that fail to meet their membership quota during the previous recruitment period must participate in COR.

A chapter may also choose to participate in COR to simply expand its membership.

All fraternities recognized by the University are participating in fall recruitment this semester.

For the fraternity information session, the officers of the Interfraternity Council, which is the governing body of Villanova’s fraternity community, introduced themselves to potential new members and presented a brief overview of their chapters.

“This year, the Interfraternity and Panhellenic councils made more initiatives for publicity for Greek recruitment,” said Phil O’Neill, the assistant director of Student Development for OFSL. “This semester’s recruitment process is very similar to that of past years, but now the new member period for the fraternities has been shortened from the usual 10 weeks to 8.5 weeks.”

All of the potential new members were encouraged to meet all of the chapters and to attend each of their information, or round one, events.

For the sorority information session, the officers of the Panhellenic Council, the governing body of Villanova’s sorority community, introduced themselves to potential new members and then called up the recruitment officers of the three sororities to continue the presentation.

Each of the recruitment officers presented the general facts, philanthropies, and social aspects of their chapters to potential new members.

It was explained that in order to partake in fall recruitment, they could not have accepted a bid during spring 2009 recruitment.

To be eligible for bids during fall recruitment, all potential new members needed to register with the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life in Corr Hall.

In addition, only students who have completed one full semester of college, have at least a 2.4 GPA and are in good standing at Villanova are eligible to participate.

The Panhellenic officers informed the potential new members that round one events would be held from Sept. 9 to Sept. 15.

The events are informal and open to all of the females eligible for fall COR. Round two events would be more formal and on an invite-only basis. Bids were given out after the completion of both rounds on Sept. 4 and could be picked up in OFSL.

“Although my sorority is not participating in open recruitment this year, joining through this process is a much more relaxed atmosphere,” said junior KellyAnn Zimmer, who received a bid last year during COR.