Offense explodes in men’s soccer victory

Nick Esposito

With its Big East schedule looming on the horizon, the men’s soccer team looked to work off any final cobwebs at the Lafayette Puma Classic in Easton, Pa., this past weekend.

Senior forward Adam Amann led things off for the Wildcats, scoring the game’s first goal just 5:28 into the first half.

The goal sparked an offensive explosion that resulted in a solid 3-1 victory over the Fordham Rams. Sunday’s game coupled with Friday night’s convincing victory against Binghamton, capped off a successful weekend for Villanova.

The ‘Cats set the tone for the entire game when senior star Mike Seamon fed a slashing Amann who made a move and blasted a goal past Fordham sophomore keeper Ryan Meara. Villanova used its momentum and relied on its effective ball movement to control the tempo of the first half. Fordham’s defense tightened up in the following minutes, keeping the ‘Nova strikers at bay.

‘Nova ended its scoreless stretch when freshman Kyle McCarthy tallied at the 28:43 mark of the first half. McCarthy’s tally was the first goal of his young collegiate career.

In the waning moments of the first half, the Rams cut the Villanova lead in half when sophomore Matt Courtenay received a free kick from keeper Meara, who fired a goal past Villanova’s keeper, sophomore Chris Bresnahan. Fordham’s goal with 28 seconds left cut Villanova’s lead to 2-1 going into the second half.

With the Fordham Rams looking to tie the game, the Wildcats leaned on their defense to get them through the second half.

The Rams had their chances, but it was to no avail, as the Wildcats kept them off the board. It was the ‘Cats who finished the scoring at the 77:16 marks when sophomore Will Ogden netted one past Meara. Ogden snuck behind the Rams’ defense, received a precise pass from Seamon and sent a shot to the far side of the goal to give the ‘Cats a 3-1 lead.

The team is young and eager to forge ahead through its Big East schedule. It will turn to its senior leaders, especially Seamon who added two assists Sunday to accompany an impressive résumé of pure scoring. Goalkeeper Bresnahan was also impressive on Sunday as he picked up his third victory of the season. Freshman Emerson Lawrence led a solid defense that frustrated the Rams all afternoon.

The Wildcats return to the field tomorrow when they open up their Big East schedule against Connecticut. The game starts 4 p.m. at the Soccer Complex on West Campus. Providence will follow to finish up the weekend for the ‘Cats on Sunday at 3 p.m.