The Villanovan Flashbacks

“World-renowned philoshopher enlightens University”

The University hosted a conference entitled “Religion and Postmodernism: Questioning God,” featuring an ensemble of international philosophers and theologians, including Jacques Derrida, a professor at the École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales in Paris. Derrida’s lecture focused on the idea of forgiveness, and was the opening speaker of the conference.

“University’s endowment falls short of BC, Notre Dame’s funds”

With nearly $150 million in the University’s fund, Boston College and the University of Notre Dame each surpass the University with endowments in excess of $800 million.

“Library Internet usage has doubled every year for the past five years”

The number of hits on the library’s Web server is at 114,000 hits per week, up from 50,000 the previous fall semester and 20,000 two years prior to then. Falvey Memorial Library cited an overall increase in library attendance for this increase in internet usage. A 1996 survey showed 45 percent of students visiting the library at least once a week, but this year’s survey revealed 60 percent of Villanova students frequented the library at least once a week.

“Both sexes engage in battle over ‘Fight Club'”

The highly-controversial film ‘Fight Club,’ starring Brad Pitt and Edward Norton, opens in theaters on Oct. 15, causing a divide in opinions between genders. Males worship everything about the film, while females may remain stuck on the disturbing themes that the film presents.

“98 Degrees warms hearts with Christmas CD”

Ohio pop-quartet releases their holiday cd, “This Christmas,” featuring the hit single “This Gift.”