Homecoming Headlines

Lauren McCarthy

Villanova students both past and present will gather this Saturday to celebrate the ‘Nova Nation. Whether you’re catching up with old friends at the alumni picnic or taking a break from your class work with your current roommates, homecoming is a perfect time to appreciate all things Villanova. This year marks an important reunion for the classes of 2004, 1999 and 1984. Take a trip down memory lane with these headlines from those landmark years from The Villanovan.

Five years ago …

“Flu fear rises amid shortage”

Due to a shortage of the vaccine, the Health Center chose not to offer the flu shot to students.

“Cunningham joins hoops family”

Washington, D.C.-based high school senior Dante Cunningham signs a contract for the 2005-06 academic year and commits to Villanova’s basketball team.

“Tutu accepts award, lights up Pavilion”

South African Archbishop and Nobel Peace Prize winner Desmond Tutu accepts the Adela Dwyer-St. Thomas of Villanova Peace Award before Villanova students.

Ten years ago …

“Bartley Construction may push classes up to 8 a.m.”

University considers moving class times for the 2000-01 academic year due to loss of classroom space.

“Lack of parking spaces on campus remains a problem”

Public Safety announces 600 new spaces based between newly constructed Mendel Hall, Bartley Hall and West Campus as a solution

Entertainment News:

Free concert featuring Sugar Ray and Public Enemy held in Philadelphia; Backstreet Boys perform two sold-out shows.

Twenty-Five years ago …

“VU joins Yankee”

President John M. Driscoll, O.S.A., and the Board of Trustees unanimously vote to join the Yankee Conference for Division I-AA football program.

“Band instruments stolen”

Over $60,000 worth of equipment is stolen from a Ramada Inn in Brighton, Mass.

during a Villanova University band trip.

“The Jumbo Elliot Award: Villanova’s late track coach is honored”

An award in the name James “Jumbo” Elliot will be awarded annually to an outstanding male and female track and field athlete.