Diversity on Campus Part Three: Black Culture Society

Meaghan Bedigian Sports Co-Editor

“I have been able to meet and join forces with the change-makers of Villanova,” Black Culture Society’s (BCS) Vice President Cierra Belin said.

Villanova’s campus by no means represents the demographic of our country as a whole, but Belin and BCS aim to represent the holistic culture of Black students at Villanova, create equal opportunities for Villanovans of color and foster an open relationship with Public Safety, Father Peter, the Office of Intercultural Affairs and the Center for Access Success and Achievement (CASA).

“The club has definitely helped start some much-needed conversations on campus about race and discrimination that others may not feel comfortable speaking on,” Belin said.

BCS meets at least twice a month at what they call “Real Chats,” where “soul food and meaningful conversation” is provided, Belin said.

“A typical meeting usually has our members seated in a circle with our executive board and we talk about things that affect us on campus and on the news,” Belin said.

Members get most excited for the Black History Month Showcase every February.

“It allows the students and Villanova community to come together to celebrate the accomplishments that Black people have had throughout history that are often overlooked,” she said.

Belin cited that other ways Black students can celebrate their cultures is through the African Caribbean Villanovans’ Fashion Show, Multicultural Student Union events and by simply being proud and “repping where you come from” around campus.

Berlin encourages Villanova’s newest members to be unafraid of exploring 

“I want to encourage the incoming freshmen to not be nervous to go outside of their comfort zones,” Belin said. “Find people who are different than you and learn about where they come from and about their inspirations.”

The 200-member club hosts a BBQ on South Campus every year that all freshmen are welcome to attend. 

“We wish that everyone knew that BCS is a welcoming club,” Belin said. “Although the name may suggest that we only cater to Black students—which is true in the nature of us wanting to create a family environment for everyone —we do not limit ourselves to that.”

Look for part four in our series on diversity organizations on campus in next week’s issue of The Villanovan.