Jazz Band Feature: Spring Performance

Courtesy of Pat Titzer
The Villanova Jazz Band and Villanova Band dazzle at their annual Spring Concert.

This past Saturday, the Villanova Jazz Band and Villanova Band presented their annual Spring Concert, a two-hour performance held in the Performing Arts Center. The concert featured numerous pieces of music covering a wide variety of genres, including songs from “In the Mood,” by Joe Garland, to composers’ collections, featuring songs from movies such as Indiana Jones and E.T. 

The Jazz Band, a cornerstone of Villanova’s Performing Arts Community for decades, boasts more than 40 members and hosts several concerts each school year. These events are made possible by the consistent support of the Villanova community, offering a unique platform for these part-time musicians to showcase their talents and dedication each semester. 

Preparation for these performances is extensive, spanning the entire semester. Weekly practices are held in the St. Mary’s Villanova band room. This year, Director Peter Neu had the band attempt many songs over the course of the semester before narrowing it down to seven pieces for the concert.

According to members of the band, it is through the positive and rigorous learning environment provided by Neu that they are truly able to evolve. 

“My journey with the Jazz Band this year has been transformative,” freshman pianist Patrick Titzer said. “It has pushed me to evolve as a musician. I am accustomed to playing solo piano pieces and mastering them at my own pace, so initially adapting to the dynamic environment and rhythmic play style of jazz piano was a challenge.” 

Being a member of the Jazz Ensemble is an enriching experience on all accounts, as the musicians learn their pieces and get to learn about the stories behind them.

“[Director Neu] is always telling us about the history behind our songs, which makes it even more interesting to learn and play them,” Titzer said. 

This philosophy of educating the musicians on the pieces they play aids them in the process of mastering their music, enabling them to be at their best for each performance. The Jazz Band’s next performance will be during the Fall Semester of 2024, and will feature a new roster of jazz pieces.