Things to Do This Semester in Philly

Courtesy of Visit Philly

Things to Do This Semester in Philly

DJ Comerford, Staff Writer

Whether you are a freshman looking to go somewhere with your new dorm friends or a junior looking for a place to go other than Conn, downtown Philadelphia is the place for you. Being only a 30-minute drive or less than an hour train ride away, Philly is definitely a place Villanovans should go if they are looking for new things to do.

If you’re feeling hungry, go get a Philly cheesesteak at Dalessandro’s on Wendover Street. It is famous for stuffing the bread to maximum capacity with steak, so you will definitely be satisfied. 

Junior Michael Tufankjian went to Dalessandro’s last spring and was able to share his thoughts. 

“Being from Boston, I never really had a true Philly cheesesteak, so when I got to Villanova, I knew I had to try it,” Tufankjian said. “I enjoyed the blue-collar environment surrounding the restaurant and after my first bite, I realized why the city was so famous for the sandwich.”

Dalessandro’s is one of the city’s most famous cheesesteak spots, and it’s only a 24-minute ride from campus. If you want to venture into Philly a bit more, try John’s Roast Pork on Snyder Ave. In a cheesesteak review, Barstool Sports’ Dave Portnoy gave their sandwich an 8.3.

“It’s the best I’ve had in the city,” Portnoy said.

If you’re looking for a non-food related activity, you could visit the Philadelphia Museum of Art. For only $14, one can access the entire museum and see works from artists like Picasso and Rembrandt. It’s a super cool activity if you want to do something new. 

Another unique spot to check out is Cira Green, which is a public park built on the rooftop of a 12-story parking garage. You can get takeout from a ground-floor restaurant called The Post and bring it up top to watch the sunset over the Philly skyline. For the over 21 crowd, one can grab a drink at the rooftop bar. 

Both the Museum and the Cira Green are just a few blocks south of Philly’s Amtrak Station at 30th Street, making it convenient for all Villanova students to check out.

Finally, if you want to go to a large event, head down to South Philly to catch a Phillies game. 

Over the summer, junior Ned Camel visited Citizens Bank Park for a game and shared about his ballpark experience. 

“Phillies games are a ton of fun and the tickets are really reasonable,” Camel said. “Standing room only tickets are just $20, and it’s a great time.” 

Mark your calendar for the next Hatfield Phillies Franks Dollar Dog Night on Sept. 20. How can you beat a fall night watching the Fightins and housing franks for a dollar a pop? It really doesn’t get any better than that. 

Other popular large events in Philly are the concerts at the BB&T Pavilion in Camden, NJ. This year, there will be artists such as Maroon 5, Chris Stapleton, The Jonas Brothers and The Backstreet Boys. 

These are just a few things that Philly has to offer. Villanova is right next to the sixth largest city in the United States, and students would be remiss if they didn’t take advantage of all that it has to offer.