GlamourGals: Grab Your Nail Polish and Open Your Heart

COURTESY OF OLIVIA SABALASKEY

A freshly-manicured “Glamour Gal”

Olivia Sabalaskey

About 60% of the almost 1.5 million seniors living in residential care don’t receive any visitors. Unfortunately, senior isolation has become one of the biggest threats to the health of America’s elderly, and many don’t know that this threat even exists. 

The GlamourGals Foundation is a not for profit organization, founded by Rachel Boyens that provides companionship to those living in senior homes. Villanova students are determined to battle and prevent senior isolation as part of the GlamourGals Chapter here on campus. Samantha Pastore, President of the University Chapter, organizes monthly and sometimes bimonthly trips to local nursing homes with student volunteers. 

Pastore and other GlamourGals volunteers enjoy interacting with the seniors while giving them manicures. “A lot of the seniors I meet don’t have any family members that visit them. It’s sad that not many people are paying attention to this growing crisis,” Pastore admits. 

Both the seniors and the GlamourGals volunteers appreciate the interaction and the chance to bridge the growing gap between generations. “I love coming back because they remember each of us and look forward to our visits,” says a student volunteer. 

The University’s GlamourGals Chapter encourages all students, to get involved in the organization and to volunteer. “The more you give, the more you get,” Pastore suggests.

To learn more about how to get involved in The University’s GlamourGals Chapter, visit their table during the Fall and Winter Student Involvement Fairs or email them at [email protected]. If you would like to learn more about the GlamourGals Foundation and the 100 other Chapters across the country, visit https://www.glamourgals.org/.