Villanova Haveners at Radio City Music Hall

Courtesy of Faith Robinson and Stephanie Gentile

The Villanova Haveners performed at Radio City Music Hall.

Skylar Musick, Staff Writer

The Haveners, one of Villanova’s all-female a cappella groups, performed at Radio City Music Hall on Saturday, Nov. 6. The group opened for the morning show of New York City’s beloved Rockettes.

The Haveners were the University’s first all-female a cappella group and are one of the eight groups on campus. The group was established in 1963 and is the sister organization of Villanova’s all-female choir, The Villanova Voices. The Haveners are performance professionals when it comes to singing on campus, having performed at countless events like a cappella Palooza and Special Olympics, as well as at events like Family Weekend and Homecoming Weekend. This weekend was not the group’s first time the group had the opportunity to open for the Radio City Rockettes, but due to the pandemic, the opportunity to do so this year was a special, and for some newer members, first time experience. 

The group arrived in New York City early Saturday morning. Dressed in red and black to invoke the holiday spirit, the Haveners spent the morning warming up their voices and taking photos together. When it was finally time to go to the venue, the 15 members were ready. 

For their performance, the Haveners sang a version of “Wonderful Christmastime” by Paul McCartney, which was arranged by junior Katherine Moffa. 

“It was extremely rewarding to share the product of all our hard work in such a respected venue,” Moffa said. 

All of Villanova’s a cappella groups sing arrangements written by their own members, and the performance this weekend was no different. Arranging music is not an easy task, which is a tribute to how much work these students put into these performances. 

Overall, singing at Radio City was a special and unforgettable experience for the Haveners. 

“It was exciting to sing on a stage, especially after COVID,” sophomore Stephanie Gentile said. “I loved dressing up and performing with my friends.”

As for any potential meet and greets, the Haveners unfortunately did not get to meet the Rockettes. However, when the Haveners walked on stage, they heard an audience member say, “Oh my gosh, it’s the Rockettes.” 

One member of the group shared a chuckle at that moment. 

“We thought it was so funny,” sophomore Katie Schulz said.

According to sophomore Caroline Jakubik, and the president of The Haveners, going into New York City with the group was a blast, with the group members enjoying some sights and each other’s company once the performance was over. 

“After the show, some of us hung out in New York and visited Bryant Park, the library and the Strand bookstore,” Schulz shared.

If you want to hear this amazing and talented group of women sing before the semester ends, get your tickets to hear The Haveners and Vocal Minority, one of Villanova’s all-male A cappella groups, sing at A Cappella Showcase on Friday, Nov. 19 at 8 p.m. The rest of the University’s a cappella groups will also be performing at the Showcase throughout that weekend (November 19-21). Tickets can be purchased online, and they sell quickly.