How to Register to Vote for the November Election

Katie Reed, Staff Writer

Registering to vote is an important milestone in many people’s lives, but it is also a great responsibility. Any United States citizen 18 years or older has the privilege of voting, and with the General Election coming up on Nov. 3, if you are not already registered to vote, it is time to get on it. You can either register to vote in Pennsylvania, request a mail-in ballot if you don’t want to physically go to a poll or if you are from out of state, you can request an absentee ballot to vote in the state you are currently registered.

This summer, while everyone was stuck at home, the Student Government Association of the University, known as SGA, along with the Office of Student Involvement and the Office of Government Relations, created the #LetsVoteNova campaign. The goal of this campaign is to promote the importance of registering to vote, so that every student’s voice can be heard in all elections. It is run by Caroline Levine, who is also the Student Body Vice President. This campaign was launched via Instagram, so @letsvotenova can be a one-stop shop for finding more information about the election, links to registering to vote and opportunities to get involved in the #LetsVoteNova campaign.

The most important dates to keep in mind for voter registration are as follows: Monday, Oct. 19 will be the last day you can register to vote for the General Election; Tuesday, Oct. 27 will be the last day that you can apply for an absentee or mail-in ballot; Tuesday, Nov. 3 is Election Day. All absentee and mail-in ballots have to be received by 8 p.m. on Election Day for them to be counted, and the polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.

To register to vote in Pennsylvania, you can do it online, or you can mail in a registration form. You are able to do both of these things by visiting votespa.com, which will also offer you a plethora of helpful information. You can find information about mail-in and absentee ballots to decide what the best option is for you and the appropriate applications for them. If you are unsure about anything, you can also check your current registration status.

On the website, you can update your voter registration information if you have changed your address, your name or your political party. This is especially important if you registered to vote in Pennsylvania last year using your campus address because the University’s campus is separated into four different wards with four different polling locations.

If you are in a different dorm this year, make sure to register to vote with your new address and visit the corresponding poll on election day. If you are from out of state and want to register to vote using your home address, you can visit vote.org to register and request an absentee ballot.

According to the SGA website, voters in Alumni, Austin, Corr, Delurey, Fedigan, Moriarty, O’Dwyer, Sheehan, Simpson, St. Rita’s and Sullivan will all report to St. Mary’s Episcopal Church on Election Day.

Farley, Gallen, Jackson, Klekotka, Moulden, Rudolph, St. Clare, St. Mary’s and Welsh residents will report to Radnor Elementary School.

Arch, Canon, Chapter, Cupola, Friar and Trinity residents will report to Rosemont Plaza. Caughlin, Good Counsel and McGuire residents will report to Rosemont Presbyterian Village.

Katharine, St. Monica and Stanford residents will report to Radnor United Methodist Church.

Free shuttles will be offered on Election Day to transport students to the polls, leaving every 30 minutes from the Connelly Center Circle. Make sure to bring a form of ID with you to the poll if it is your first time voting.

The goal of SGA is “to be representative of the interests of the entire undergraduate body in all matters.” Additionally, if you are still a little unsure about registering to vote, be sure to check out villanova.edu/LetsVoteNova to find information pertinent to you.

Do your research ahead of time and vote for what you believe is best, all while considering the opportunity to vote in Pennsylvania, a swing state.