Semester’s End In Sight, Summer Look-Ahead

Brian Luppy
Students are looking ahead to the pleasure of summer vacation, with finals nearly in the rear-view mirror.

With students still in the hustle and bustle of making it through formals, finals and finishing their year at Villanova as strongly as possible, many are using the upcoming advent of summer vacation as not just an incentive to hang on until the year’s end, but as something to look forward to.

This summer also marks plenty of time for work and play, a tricky balance as any to properly hit, but with a load taken off thanks to school not being in session. 

“I’m going to work a lot,” freshman Sophia Petrucci said. “And then go to the beach and Lake George for a few days.”

Freshman Alex Markatos is glad that the end is in sight and has his summer plans all set out already.

“I’m going to be working during the summer and going on trips with friends,” Markatos said. “I’m excited to be back home with friends and family.” 

Other Villanovans are looking forward to a welcome time of relaxation and rest, especially after the rough few weeks of finals and the lead-up to them. With the aspect of “rewarding oneself” after a difficult assignment becoming more and more mainstream, it goes with no shock that many Villanovans are intending to do just that.

“I’m going to be working and relaxing this summer,” freshman Sophie Scharmann said. “I’m going to be working at a pharmacy, and when I’m not there, you can find me at the beach or on some trail in the woods. 

It can mean renewed family traditions. This is something freshman Jack Hartung is taking full advantage of the time to do. Other choices could be a local job, an internship, working in one’s hometown or reuniting with old friends from high school. 

“I’m definitely looking forward to summer break,” Hartung said. “I’m going to be spending a few weeks on a lake in northern Minnesota.”

For some, this upcoming summer provides a chance to see members of their family many Villanovans haven’t seen since Easter or perhaps even Spring Break. 

“I’m also super excited to be back home with my family,” Scharmann said. “It’ll be great to spend some time with them.”

For seniors, this summer marks a major milestone in their life as they transition from being a college student to a member of whichever field they choose to enter. And for freshmen, this summer marks the end of a huge transition from high school to college life.

Freshman Dylan Blockowicz is looking forward to a respite from academics. Even more so, however, also looking forward to traveling and honing his tennis and pickleball skills.

“I am very excited for break, not only because I get to go home, but because I get a break from academics,” Blockowicz said. “I’m likely going to work at an exclusive country club, where I will have playing privileges, which will be awesome.”

For others, the summer can mark an opportunity to pad a resume with a job or an internship in whatever industry they aim to join one day.

If one is a business student, perhaps they will be working in a firm in the discipline they are studying. If one is in CLAS, one may be working at a law firm, a media organization or something similar.

For some, like Blockowicz, summertime is also the best time to explore the world and travel a bit, be it as short as a neighboring state, across the country or around the world.

“Personally, I’m also looking forward to visiting Spain and Germany later this upcoming summer,” Blockowicz said.