Breaking News: Villanova Students for Justice in Palestine Group Leads Protest on Campus

Emma Cahill
Students protest in support of Palestine

The Villanova Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) is hosting a demonstration in support of Palestininians and end to the war in Gaza. An estimated 100 Villanova students are standing on the steps outside the Connelly Center, sharing statistics and facts about the lack of support and recognition of the situation in Gaza from the University, with students, faculty members, and observers witnessing the protest.

The students speaking questioned the University’s administration, saying “It is an absolute travesty that an institution that claims to exemplify Catholic Social Teachings, like Villanova, has chosen to remain way more silent regarding this issue.” They also noted that today is the 206th day since the conflict erupted. The group went on to call for “an immediate and permanent ceasefire” in Gaza.

The protest goes beyond Villanova, with students around the nation demanding for universities to call for peace and justice for Palestine. Protestors chanted “free free Palestine” and demanded the U.S. cut funding for Israel, by chanting, “not another nickel, not another dime for Israel’s crimes.” In addition to the speeches given by SJP leaders, members are phone banking, in order to spread the message further off campus, and to local and national politicians.

Today’s protest reached more than just the Villanova community, with media and press from off campus coming to Villanova and sending news helicopters to cover the demonstration.

The Villanovan will have continuing coverage of this story both on our website and in tomorrow’s print issue.