A New Push for Employee Break Room in the Connelly Center

Brian Luppy
Interest in adding a break room for Connelly Center employees has been making waves.

In recent weeks, petitions have been spreading throughout campus to encourage the University to provide the full-time employees in the Connelly Center with a proper break room. Currently, the employees do not have access to a quiet place to rest, eat, drink or utilize for any other reason during their shift breaks. Instead, the employees have access to a locker and have to sit either in Belle Air or in the outside room of the Connelly Center while they enjoy time off from their shift. 

Not only has this had an effect on the breaktimes of full-time employees, but students have also taken notice and decided to speak up about the problem. Student organizations such as the Student Government Association (SGA) and Villanova’s Global Social Justice Initiative have been spreading awareness on this issue, and pressing for the University to take charge.

“I think establishing a break room for workers in Conn is very important, even though us on SGA represent the students, the Conn workers serve the students, they work for the students and they create a great experience for the students,” junior SGA President Dean Millard said. “So, I think it is very important to ensure that we are taking care of the people who take care of us. I think we have a responsibility, if this is something that students are passionate about, that we, SGA, stand up for this initiative.”

However, while such student-run organizations may feel strongly united on this issue, for some employees who currently work in Connelly, these sentiments are not shared. Some employees, for instance, are turned off to the idea entirely due to uncertainty on where such a room would even go due to the lack of available space in Conn.

Some also do not feel the need for a new space on campus as a break room and that, among the current crop of workers within Connelly, in one worker’s own words, it is not so even keeled as some believe, more divided than equal on the issue. 

“Sure, [a break room] would be nice, but we also like being out with the students and being involved with them. Like, a break room is nice, but there is a handful of us that really [here] or there if we get it because it’s not like we need to get away from the students,” a Connelly worker who requested anonymity said. “We enjoy being with them, seeing them, saying hi to them, things like that.”

Most Villanova students, on the other hand, especially those who spend a lot of time in the Connelly Center, recognize how much these workers do every day.

“I think a break room for the Connelly Center employees is a great idea,” sophomore Camryn Browne said. “The Conn employees work so hard to provide us great service and meals every day, they deserve a comfortable and special place to take breaks during their long hours.” 

SGA further recognizes that there are constraints towards this goal, and are hoping to work alongside the University and students passionate about this dream becoming a reality.

“Here at Villanova, we are somewhat landlocked, so we do face constraints with space to for new innovations and things like that, but I think we want to work with the Connelly Center, facility services and other groups like that to figure out the best way to make a more sustainable space and that gives the workers more space to operate and to make sure they can meet the demand of the students,” Millard said.

Millard further reiterated his point about this not being for the students who eat and work in Connelly, rather to give back to those who make one of the campus’ most popular study spots so lovely to Villanovans.

“Although there are busy days,” Millard said. “We want the workers to feel their best, work their best, and sometimes you need that place of comfort in order to do so.”