VTV Hosts Fourth Annual Villys Film Festival

Courtesy of Villanova Television
Villanova Television is holding the fourth annual Villys Film Festival on Apr. 12.

Villanova Television is holding its fourth annual Villys Film Festival this Friday, April 12. The Villys is a student film fest run by VTV every spring that accepts any student film submissions. The submissions will be screened in front of the student body at the event.

“Having been on all sides of the Villy experience, being both a filmmaker and organizer, I can say that it is a very enjoyable time,” junior Justin Groel, VTV Internal Affairs Director, said. “It’s the kind of event that you can’t get anywhere else on campus, as it is bursting with love for creativity and filmmaking.”

VTV accepted student submissions for the Villys through March 29. Twelve judges will evaluate and comment on the submissions at the festival.

“The stars of the Villys are the student filmmakers and projects that they devoted their time and energy to,” Groel said. 

There are many different awards handed out at the event, so most films will receive some form of recognition. Awards distributed at last year’s Villys included best in genres, such as Best Comedy, and also additional awards, such as Best Editing.

Senior and VTV President Lexi Brenner stated that the most important part of the festival is celebrating the hard work and achievements of the student filmmakers.

“Students should attend the Villys to show support for all the student filmmakers at Villanova,” Brenner said. “It’s a great end-of-year celebration for films made throughout the school year and a great outlet for filmmakers to display their work and creativity and have the chance to receive awards and prizes.”

This year, the Villys have four genres of films: Comedy, Drama, Horror and Music Videos. With so much variety, it promises to be an exciting event once again.

“Overall, it is a very community-driven event, and one that’s bound to be filled with lots of laughs, screams and satisfied viewers,” Groel said.

The Villys will be held in Connelly Cinema this Friday and is an ACS-approved event.