Office of Belonging and Inclusion Comes to Villanova

Graydon Paul
Villanova will be adding a new class to its course catalog come the fall semester.

Last Monday, Corr Hall reopened its doors as Villanova’s new Office of Belonging and Inclusion, or OBI, for short. Open Mondays through Fridays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., OBI hopes to create and support events and programming that help Villanovans firmly create a community that’s both inclusive and welcoming of all, focusing especially on underrepresented students.

Corr, additionally home to students in single dorm rooms, was formerly the main office for Mission & Ministry, before that moved to the recently renovated St. Rita’s Hall. Now, it will be the destination for OBI, a key part of Villanova’s strategic plan going forward. 

It also comes on the heels of OBI’s recent change in name, formerly being known as the Office of Intercultural Affairs (OIA). In the announcement of the change, the University said it was done to make the name more encompassing of all those at Villanova today.

OBI opens its doors in Corr Hall, across from the chapel,” the statement said. “Continuing its mission to create and support programming that fosters and sustains a community of respect and inclusion for Villanovans, with a special focus on our underrepresented students.”

Despite the name change, the staff from the former OIA has remained intact and will still be led by Assistant Vice President and Director, Eloise Berry.

The new space in Corr also includes “The SUITE,” with the latter word shortened to represent the full meaning: Space for Underrepresented Identities Together for Empowerment. 

The SUITE will include a lounge for students to relax and talk, spaces for meetings and conferences to be held, a kitchen and more amenities for students. However, the space is designed mostly to enhance underrepresented identities and their Villanova experience.

Previously, both The SUITE and OBI had a home on the second floor of Dougherty Hall. The previous space is now vacant, pending whatever the administration plans to do with it. The new space in Corr is designed not just to enhance the amount of room for the office, but to give more underrepresented students the chance to use the facility.

In addition to the new OBI, Villanova will continue to offer additional resources and offices on campus, including the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and the Center for Access, Success and Achievement (CASA).