Villanovans “Love Run Philadelphia Half Marathon”

Manzo%28far+left%29+pictured+with+fellow+half+marathoners+and+friends.+
Maggie Fitzgerald/Villanovan Photography
Manzo(far left) pictured with fellow half marathoners and friends.

It is no secret that Villanovans are incredibly high-achievers around campus, both in and outside the classroom. Whether it is SPO, A Cappella, NOVAdance or Blue Key, students are active members in the University community. A constant exemplification of core Villanova values, involvement is centered around contributing to the enrichment of life here in Villanova, PA. But what about the world outside of all things blue and white? 

If the “Love Run Philadelphia Half Marathon” last week was any indication, the engagement of Villanova students extends far beyond Lancaster Avenue. The race, Philly’s largest spring half marathon, began at 7:30 a.m. on Sunday, March 24, and continued until the late evening. The option for a 7k was also available to any participants not quite up for the 13-mile trek. Throughout the day, even in the frigid temperature, a quick scan of the finish line and the hoards of onlookers sporting Villanova merchandise were unmissable. Bundled up in their warmest gear, they enthusiastically cheered for friends and peers alike, boasting colorful signs of encouragement with the names of racers. Sophomore Molly O’Connell attended the race in support of her two best friends.   

“Watching [the race] was honestly a very incredible experience,” O’Connell said. “I felt very emotional watching my friends successfully complete this, knowing myself I could not do it, and just how big of [an] accomplishment this really is.”

Regardless of who these smiling spectators came to see, they assuredly were witnesses to the accomplishment of many more Villanova students than even intended. As indicated by the announcer who called out the affiliation of all finishers, Villanova certainly pulled its weight in terms of participation in the race. In the last .5 of the half marathon, friends, peers, professors, strangers, campus crushes and probably even the vaguely familiar-looking student from Conn were sure to come around the bend. 

The finishers, however, were not just extreme athletes or frequent marathoners, for many it was their first-ever race and represented their recent involvement in the sport. Sophomore Matt Hellman, who successfully completed the 13 miles last Sunday, didn’t have much previous experience, but was motivated by reasons larger than a love for running. 

“My grandpa was a huge runner, doing a lot of marathons and half [marathons],” Hellman said. “He passed away recently and doing it was something for him.” 

Despite only running up to five miles throughout his training since January, Hellman thoroughly enjoyed the experience, especially given the support of the Villanova community along the way. 

“It was pretty awesome to see ‘Nova people running and cheering you on,” Hellman said. “Always gave you a little more energy. The last mile was lined with friends and people cheering. Really hyped me up and was my fastest part.”

As O’Connell and Hellman can attest, Vs were everywhere. One only had to look up to see the familiar Wildcat logo amongst the crowd. Sophomore Natalie Manzo was another successful half-marathoner, running with her friend Leah Smith.The pair was encouraged by their role in the crowd last year. 

“We were inspired to do the half marathon when we went to watch the Love Run last year, where I watched my big run,” Manzo said. “It was just such a beautiful day. Everyone was so high-energy and all in one place being happy and rooting for people that they don’t even know. It was such a great feeling that I knew I wanted to do it the next year.”

Unlike Hellman, Manzo had plenty of previous experience with running. Captain of her cross country team junior and senior year, Manzo was an athlete all throughout high school.

“I started doing cross country when I quit soccer my sophomore year [of high school],” Manzo said. “I have always loved to run and I missed it a lot when I came to school not being on a team, so I started running with some of my friends here.” 

These weekly runs with friends turned into a rechanneled passion for the sport and the participation in the half marathon of not just Smith and Manzo, but three more of their closest friends. Manzo cited her incredible experience and intentions to participate for many years to come, hopefully recruiting more friends along the way. 

Whether you are an experienced runner, or cannot catch your breath after a mile, there is clearly a place for all Villanova students at the “Love Run Philadelphia Half Marathon.” If the avid participation of VU students served as inspiration to try it out next year, best of luck. And if not, there is plenty more room for cheering fans at the finish line.