Relay for Life Hosts Fall Activities in Lieu of Run

Courtesy of Maddy Holobinko

Students participate at Relay for Life activities.

Maddy Holobinko, Staff Writer

On the afternoon of Friday, Oct. 30, in the midst of many Halloween weekend activities, the University’s chapter of Relay for Life held its main event on Mendel Field.

Relay for Life typically manages a six-hour walk to raise support in the fight against cancer, with all proceeds going to the American Cancer Society.

Instead of its usual itinerary, the organization managed an array of fall-themed activities this time around.

On the day of the event, tickets were sold at a reduced price of ten dollars. Upon check-in, students were given a cookie from Hope’s Cookies and a bag of candy. Attendees then had access to the pumpkin painting and tie dying stations set up around the field.

At the event, students were also able to purchase caramel apples, candy apples, apple cider and donuts, all catered from Linvilla Orchards. Relay for Life merchandise was available for sale as well.

As students enjoyed what the event had to offer, video ceremonies of committee members sharing the Relay for Life messaging were played on a projector.

The four topics covered included celebrating the lives of those who have battled cancer, remembering those lost, recognizing survivorship and fighting back to put an end to the disease.

Preparation for the event began in the spring. Though plans changed throughout the spring and summer, the University’s chapter of Relay for Life was able to figure out the logistics of an event that was both COVID-19 safe and in-person.

Despite various setbacks, Executive Chair Audrey McCleary found the event to be a success in helping the cause.

“I think the event went well,” McCleary said. “We were definitely worried, due to the weather, COVID-19 rules about attendance and also having a safe but fun event. I think raising money for cancer research and treatment is a cause that resonates with everyone, so it’s great to see support on campus.”