College of Engineering Honors John G. Drosdick

Graydon Paul
Engineering students visited Uganda for their senior capstone projects.

Villanova University announced on March 11, 2024 that the Center for Engineering Education and Research will be renamed to Drosdick Hall, after John G. Drosdick, Class of 1965. Drosdick, who previously served as the Chief Executive Officer and President of Sunoco Inc., donated $20 million dollars towards the renovations for the College of Engineering.

In an email to the Villanova community, University President Rev. Peter M. Donohue, O.S.A., Ph.D. announced the new building name, recognizing the extreme support from Drosdick.

“I cannot thank John enough for his unwavering support of Villanova and the College of Engineering,” Father Peter said. “This is a momentous time for the College of Engineering and the entire Villanova University community. Drosdick Hall will enhance the Villanova Engineering experience for generations.”

“I think the donation will have a positive impact on the students by giving us the opportunity to learn in an environment that provides us with opportunities to grow as engineers, such as the new labs and class space,” sophomore Lily Swanson said.

The University announced the renovations in 2021 and began the project in 2022. The building is set to be open in the Fall of 2024. The 150,000 square feet building will house all of the College of Engineering programs, and will help foster deeper connections between professors and students, as well as with students in the same and different engineering concentrations. 

“Drosdick Hall will serve as a crossroads for innovation for Villanova Engineering students, faculty and staff, and transform the educational experience for the mid-century and beyond,” Michele Marcolongo, Ph.D., Drosdick Endowed Dean of the College of Engineering said. “We are so thankful for the generous support of John Drosdick to the College of Engineering.”

The building will include new technology, as well as more than 20 new lab spaces. The space will allow for an increase in innovative teaching, and help further develop the College’s commitment towards collaboration and interdisciplinary research. 

“The donation will help all the engineering students by providing us with new spaces to better our academic and post-graduate careers,” sophomore Michael Unger said.

Drosdick has been donating and supporting the renovations since the beginning, with an investment going towards the Drosdick Innovation Lab, a space where students can explore hands-on building and innovating opportunities. 

Previously, he has also helped support individual students in the College of Engineering through the John G. Drosdick Endowed University Scholarship, which helps engineering students who have financial needs. In addition, he also endowed the College of Engineering through the Drosdick Endowed Dean’s Fund, which supports the ongoing strategic priorities of the College.  

“I have seen how a Villanova education can have a profound impact on the path a person chooses to take,” Drosdick said. “It is for that reason that I wanted to give back. I am extremely grateful to Villanova for the Engineering education it provided me and how it helped me to grow both personally and professionally. I want to make sure that tomorrow’s engineering students have the same transformative experience I had at Villanova. This new building will create these opportunities for our future engineers.”

Drosdick received his Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering in 1965. Shortly after, he earned his master’s degree from the University of Massachusetts Amherst. He served on the Villanova Board of Trustees in a chair position and is dedicated to ensuring a strong future for the College of Engineering. As the now-retired President of Sunoco, Drosdick has continued to support the College of Engineering to ensure a strong foundation of education for future Villanova engineers.