Blue and White Turned Green: Recap of St. Patrick’s Day on Campus

Courtesy of Liz Vaupel
Kappa Delta hosted Shamrock to commemorate the holiday and support their philanthropy.

It turns out wildcats bleed blue and green. The luck of the Irish was strong on Lancaster Ave this past weekend as students united together to commemorate a beloved holiday on campus. Villanovans participated in celebratory festivities throughout the days leading up to St. Patrick’s Day on Sunday.

To kick off the celebrations, the Irish Studies department organized daytime performances by the Villanova Irish Dance Team in Belle Air Terrace on Friday to music performed by a live band. The team performed both traditional and more modern dances.

Mary Kate Gallagher, Co-Captain of the Villanova Irish dance team, stressed the importance of the holiday in sharing their culture with the wider student body.

“We love getting the opportunity to share Irish dance with other students and members of the community and St Patrick’s Day is the perfect holiday to share in that celebration,” Gallagher said.

Kappa Delta also held their annual cornhole tournament, Shamrock, on Friday benefitting Prevent Child Abuse America and Mission Kids. With the majority of participants wearing green and embracing the spirit of the holiday, the event was an energetic way to celebrate while supporting an important cause.

“Shamrock was a super fun and festive was to raise money for Kappa Delta’s philanthropy of child abuse. It was exciting seeing the campus rally together around such an important cause,” Freshman KD member Ally McManus said.

The Campus Activities Team additionally hosted “Dublin Down on the Green” on Friday, a St. Patrick’s Day celebration on Rowan Campus Green including a live Irish band and a beer truck for students over 21. 

There was certainly no shortage of Irish spirit at Villanova this weekend and one thing is for sure – Villanovans know how to celebrate.