BSU Celebrates annual Black Excellence Award winners

Graydon Paul
The Black Student Union hosted their annual celebration of Black Excellence Award winners.

Villanova’s Black Student Union hosted its annual Black History Month Showcase on Feb. 24. This year, the focus of the event was the Black Excellence Awards, designed to honor the accomplishments and efforts of Black students at Villanova. 

Students gathered in the Villanova Room in elegant attire to experience an evening full of inspiring performances preceding the awards ceremony. Various Villanova student entertainment organizations, such as The Superlatives, Step Nation and the VU Gospel Choir were present. Local groups also attended, among them a Philadelphia-based youth group, SNAPCo and an a cappella ensemble from UPenn.

The Villanovan had the opportunity to speak with junior Mya Stinson, the host of the awards. 

“As a host of the Excellence Awards, it felt really great honoring and celebrating achievements and contributions of our Black student community,” Stinson said. “The event was a powerful reminder of the talent and resilience within our organization.”

Additionally, Stinson spoke about the sense of unity and pride spurred by the event. 

“Overall, it was truly an unforgettable experience that highlighted the importance of recognizing and uplifting Black excellence on our campus,” Stinson said.

The highlight of the event was the awards presentation. Members of the Villanova community were able to cast their vote in an online ballot after the nominees were selected and announced through the Black Student Union’s Instagram page. 

The categories included a “Mr.” and “Miss” for each academic year and each school or college. Additional awards commended qualities of entrepreneurship, athleticism, involvement, advocacy, leadership and style.

Senior Lydia McFarlane, a nominee for “Miss Black and Involved” noted the importance of her nomination. 

“I was so honored to be nominated and recognized for my involvement, not just in Black spaces but across campus,” McFarlane said. “I work very hard in the classroom and in my extracurriculars, so it was nice to get the acknowledgement that there are people who see the passion I have and the work I put into the things I care about in different spaces and organizations on campus.”

Students accepted their awards with radiant smiles as they were greeted with applause from the audience. Among those selected as winners was “Miss Villanova School of Business,” senior Kamryn Rogers. 

“[This award] meant a lot to me because a lot of the work I do is because of what others did for me,” Rogers said. “When I first came to Villanova, the first people to take me under their wings were other Black business students. I’ve tried to create that same community for those that are coming after me since I will be graduating in a few short months. Winning that award signified that I have done my part in carrying out the legacy of those who have come before me in VSB, which is all that I care about.”

Junior Nick Jubilee, as a part of both the Division 1 Swim & Dive team and the nursing program, received the awards for “Mr. Black Athlete” and “Mr. College of Nursing,” a testament to his involvement and impact on campus.  

“It was really cool winning them ‘cause it was nice to know that my peers see me putting in the work in the classroom and in the pool to just try and be the best that I can be,” Jubilee said. 

Another senior, Fikayo Ajeigbe, was honored with two awards.

“I won the ‘Miss Black Senior’ and ‘Miss Black Student Leader’ awards, and it was nice to be recognized for the work that I do around campus,” Ajeigbe said. 

The class winners include freshmen Derrick Smith and Jade Miller, sophomores James Eyan and Technide Jean-Phillipe, juniors Dean Millard and Rene Hart and senior Jameson Ford. Others recognized were Ava Studivant, Chinemerem Chukwu, Chris Brown, Christina Dalce, Corban Rogers, Elani Dwyer, Janice Igbinobaro, Jordin Thomas-Lamothe, Kaya Robinson, Kentron J. White, Keshyne Washington, Lauryn Hayes, Lauren Amoo, McKenzie Ohene, Timi Olaniyi, Trinity Rogers and Zachary Toles.

The Black History Month Showcase succeeded in motivating Black students campus-wide, acknowledging their significant achievements and qualities that enhance the greater community. Congratulations are in order for all of the students nominated, with special recognition to those who garnered the votes of their peers and were announced as winners. While the awards ceremony only lasted one evening, these students deserve to be celebrated every day