A Preview of the 11th Annual NOVAdance

Lauren Armstrong
The 11th Annual NOVAdance will take place March 23 at Jake Nevin.

On March 23, 2024, hundreds of students, staff, parents, alumni and more will fill the walls of Jake Nevin under one common cause: NOVAdance. NOVAdance is Villanova’s year-long fundraising campaign for the Andrew McDonough B+ Foundation, which raises money to support families going through a battle with pediatric cancer. 

“I got involved in NOVAdance because of my personal connection,” sophomore Committee Member Olivia Winchenbaugh said. “My sister was diagnosed with a tumor her sophomore year of high school and we were extremely fortunate to catch it early and have the resources needed to make sure she would be healthy. Most people are not as fortunate as my family was, and so I NOVAdance so people can have the same chances. I fight for the kids. I fight for our heroes. No one should stand alone, so I fight for everyone affected by the disease.”

NOVAdance is one of the largest student organizations at Villanova, and the mission connects to many students for a variety of reasons. For current Co-Executive Director Kathryn Scotto, she’s very much included in that connection, with hers more personal than most.

“Having seen many of my own family members battle cancer, NOVAdance stuck out to me and I was drawn to NOVAdance in that it would enable me to support families [with] the ability to support families experiencing the same hardship,” Scotto said. “In NOVAdance we say that your ‘Why?’ develops and changes as time goes on. While I initially joined NOVAdance to find a home on campus, and to give back, my ‘Why?’ has become so much greater… I found my home in NOVAdance, a place where I can make a difference, a place I feel comfortable being me.”

A variety of students decided to get involved with NOVAdance for a variety of reasons. 

“I wanted to get involved in NOVAdance to spread awareness about the organization,” sophomore and Team Captain for Phi Sigma Pi Zach Hetrick said. “Since getting involved, it has influenced my college career for the better. It has allowed me to meet so many new people also passionate about raising money for pediatric cancer. I think everyone should get involved, as there are many levels of involvement depending on how much time you can dedicate to the cause. It is so easy to raise money and get involved.”

Speaking of getting involved, for those not already planning on attending or getting active with the organization currently, plenty of ways still remain, including the Morale Committee (MoCo) with Co-Director Caroline Jakubik and MoCo Color Captains Grant Lemay, Hannah Rongo, Peyton Walker and Meredith Sheftel. 

“Morale Committee is an amazing way for students of any grade to get involved at any time,” Jakubik said. “They are the backbone of NOVAdance and are NOVAdance’s ‘hype team.’ You can join MoCo at any time before March 23 on our fundraising website. People should get involved because when you contribute to NOVAdance, you can be assured that your support will be going directly to families in need. Beyond that, you will have the experience to connect with our amazing B+ Heroes and with other Villanova students who are passionate about creating change in the world. NOVAdance is a community like none other and does work that is tangible and makes a positive difference.”

For Scotto, now a senior after four years as a part of the organization, this year’s NOVAdance is not just the annual culmination of the hard work done by all facets of the organization all year long, it represents a final “Day Of” for her. And as a part of that, she urges all people – whether it is someone stopping by, a member of the organization or someone interested in getting involved – to savor every moment.

“The feeling NOVAdance creates on the ‘Day Of’ is like no other,” Scotto said. “The connection between everyone in that room is one of shared experience, hope, joy, love, and care. I urge you, when you come this year on March 23, to make your way up to the stands on the second floor of Jake Nevin. Take a moment to take it all in, [the] hundreds of people dancing below you, the parents chatting in the corner, relieved that their children are enjoying a day of carefree fun, the Committee members buzzing about, making sure that every detail goes off without a hitch, our Heroes playing basketball and Just Dance. Our grand fundraising total reveal to end the night is the cherry on top, the moment we realize how much good we were able to put into the world, and how many families we’ve helped. I find myself overwhelmed with emotion every year, the confetti falls and the crowd erupts into cheers, hugs, and tears. It’s a moment I can’t begin to capture with words and a day I count down every year.”