Villanova Reacts to New Textbook Policy

Brian Luppy
Starting next semester, students’ textbook costs will be factored into their tuition costs per semester.

Trying to get the best deal on a textbook is a thing of the past at Villanova. Starting next semester, students’ textbook costs will be factored into their tuition costs per semester. The University expects this to save students a lot of money. 

Students received an email last Monday about the new Villanova Textbook Access Program. In this program, students will automatically be charged $275 per semester if they are full-time undergraduates, $70 per semester for a part-time undergraduate, $100 per semester for a full-time graduate and $55 per semester for a part-time graduate. Students can opt out of the program each semester. 

The Villanovan spoke to Craig Wheeland, PhD, Senior Vice Provost for Academics, about how this program came to Villanova.

“Villanova’s bookstore partner, Follett, has implemented similar programs at other universities,” Wheeland said. “They approached Villanova to discuss this program knowing that the University actively works to provide its students with affordable options for course materials.” 

The program is expected to save each student 20 to 60% of the money they would have spent. Once enrolled in the course, the bookstore will get the required materials ready for each student. Books recommended by professors will not be included in a students’ materials. Printed books will then be available for pick-up the first day of classes. Digital copies will also be available at this time.

“The estimated 20 to 60% is based on actual results from different institutions,” Wheeland said. “To determine fees for Villanova, Follett also analyzed data from Villanova’s bookstore orders.”

However, some students are still unhappy with the new program. If a student forgets to opt out of the program during the drop/add period, they will have to pay the full price. This raised concerns for students in CLAS who typically do not have a lot of textbooks.

The Villanovan spoke to junior Vic Bratsos, who shared her frustrations about the program.

“I think the program isn’t helpful for the majority of students,” Bratsos said. “While there probably are students that spend more than $275 a semester, most of them don’t. A lot of students will be opting out, which is an inconvenience. It’s overall unnecessary.”

Wheeland explained why the program is an opt-out rather than an opt-in.

“An opt-out program ensures that students receive their required texts by the first day of classes without having to take additional action,” he said. “Students will also be informed of the up-front cost of their required texts. This gives them the necessary information to make a decision about opting out of the program.”

In the same regard, if students accidentally opt-out or change their mind, they can opt back in through the portal. This portal link will be sent to every student’s email at the start of each term. Students can only opt out during a certain time period, so they will need to keep checking their email. 

“I’ve been at this school for five years,” graduate student Meghan Rivardo said. “I’ve never spent close to $275 on textbooks in undergrad. It sucks for certain majors because it’s lifting a financial burden for some, but those in CLAS or even business don’t spend nearly that much.”

The set textbook price for all majors seems to be a concern. Those in CLAS and VSB are going to be opting out at a higher rate than STEM majors. 

Regardless of how students feel, the program is set for next semester. Those with more questions are asked to email the Villanova University Shop.