A Brunch of Good Food: Villanova Students’ Favorite Brunch Spots

Courtesy of Julia Stanisci

Bread and butter appetizer at White Dog Cafe in Wayne

Julia Stanisci Staff Writer

During the COVID-19 pandemic, which has basically cancelled everything, there is one shining constant that remains, rising above the ashes: brunch. Villanovans have been loving brunch this semester. The fleeting warm weather has provided ideal outdoor dining conditions, and even as it gets chillier, you can still enjoy many of these spots outside under tents filled with space-heaters or indoors with socially-distanced dining. 

First is a Villanova staple: First Watch. First Watch is located right down the street at 775 E. Lancaster Ave #140, just past Campco, so it is a perfect walking distance. They offer health-minded options from avocado toast to omelettes and fresh fruit, as well as a fan favorite: “million dollar bacon.” 

“The banana pancakes were absolutely fantastic, life-changing even,” sophomore Gabby Bevil said. 

Turning Point is another nearby favorite. Sophomore Samantha Shalgos is an absolute fanatic. 

“The atmosphere is really cute,” Shalgos said. “It’s a nice place to get a good meal with friends, and the tea is so yummy.”

It is also walkable, located in Bryn Mawr at the intersection of Lancaster and Merion Ave, near the popular Villas at Bryn Mawr apartment complex. 

The Silverspoon is a fancier option located in Wayne, across the street from the indoor farmer’s market at 503 W Lancaster Ave. Silverspoon is BYOB, offering contemporary American cuisine with an airy atmosphere. Menu options include silver dollar pancakes, a delicious eggs benedict, truffle fries and so much more. 

Finally, one of the most popular spots among Villanovans this semester has been White Dog Cafe. With two different close locations in both Wayne and Haverford, brunch at White Dog has become a weekend staple. They make you feel fancy with multiple courses, including delicious appetizers such as hummus and truffle fries and main course offerings of endless omelets, eggs benedict, a house waffle and so much more. Junior Carley O’Toole recommends the fresh mini donuts that can be dipped in a special sugar sauce. 

“They’re amazing,” O’Toole said. “You have to get them.” 

To top it all off, they serve bottomless mimosas, sangria or bloody mary’s through 3 p.m., for everyone over 21 years old.