Students Reflect on Special Olympics Fall Fest 2023

Natalie Zickel
Students reflected on a successful 2023 Fall Fest.

This past weekend, Villanova hosted its 35th Annual Special Olympics, the largest student-run Special Olympics event in the world. The event lasted from Friday, Nov. 3 to Sunday, Nov. 6, and brought copious amounts of energy to campus. The sports competitions included powerlifting, flag football, long-distance running and walking, volleyball, bocce and soccer. With 42 different counties, hundreds of coaches and thousands of volunteers represented, Fall Fest’s message of inclusion was spread around Villanova’s campus. 

This year’s Special Olympics theme was, “Together As A Team, Our Dreams Are Closer Than They Seem,” which created the most magical Fall Festival, bringing smiles to everyone’s faces, especially the athletes. From O-Town to the Victory Jamboree to highly competitive athletic events, Special Olympics made everyone’s dreams come true. 

This year’s Special Olympics student leader, also known as the “dream fairy,” was senior Moira Horan. 

“A large focus of planning Fall Festival this year was how to approach our ideas with the most inclusive mindsets possible to ensure the athlete experience was kept at the forefront of all planning,” Horan said. “Some of the ways that our student team worked to make Fall Fest more accessible this year included the implementation of ramps and accessible entrances to venues, inclusion zones throughout campus and a low-sensory tent at our Victory Jamboree, among others. Creating and growing friendships with the athletes and coaches throughout the weekend remains one of the most meaningful aspects of Fall Fest to me. Witnessing athletes immerse themselves in new experiences as a result of our increased focus on inclusive spaces this year was one of the most impactful aspects of the 35th Fall Fest to me. Feeling the spirit of Special Olympics spread by students, volunteers, athletes, coaches, families, faculty and staff proves the power of our Villanova community to share the mission of inclusion beyond our campus and Fall Fest weekend.”

Throughout the weekend, Villanova’s campus was filled with intense competition ranging from a volleyball tournament in Jake Nevin to heavy lifts in the Villanova Room. However, athletic competitions were not the only activities present. The flash mob, interactive tables in Olympic Town (O-Town), victory jamboree dance party and opening and closing ceremonies allowed athletes to spend time with Villanova students and embrace the Special Olympics message of inclusion. 

Senior Jenna Cicalo, a Local Program Host (LPH), reflected on her favorite memories of Fall Fest. 

“My favorite memory was the closing ceremony,” Cicalo said. “The athletes started dancing, and being able to hold the athletes’ hands while seeing their faces glow was a very special moment. This illustrates SPO’s mission of inclusion. You can’t help but smile when looking around campus.” 

After every copetition day, LPH members would line the walkways and create spirit lines for the athletes. The cheering, high-fives and laughs prepared every athlete to return the next day. 

Freshman Samantha Zacharzyck highlighted the LPH spirit lines.

“My favorite part of Fall Fest was the spirit lines and watching all the parents smile and thank all the volunteers,” Zacharzyck said. “It was a joy to see how proud they are of their athletes. During Fall Fest, everyone shares the common joy of competition, which is rewarding to be a part of.”  

Fall Fest is run by Villanova students, including the Special Olympics Committee, Volunteer Committee, Local Program Hosts, Inclusion Crew and general volunteers. All these leaders work diligently to make Fall Fest the best weekend for the athletes and their families. 

Junior committee member Caroline Kane commented on her experience as a leader of Fall Fest.

“It’s a privilege to be a part of such an amazing group of people that value inclusion so strongly and were determined to make Fall Fest the best one yet,” she said.

Villanova’s Special Olympics is one of the happiest weekends on campus since the joy it spreads is infectious. The 35th Annual Special Olympics illustrates the sheer love, passion and commitment that Villanova University embodies. This year dreams were made, magic was spread and, most importantly, a powerful community was formed.