The Devastating Loss of Matthew Perry, his Mental Health Awareness Impact, and Mental Health Resources on Villanova’s Campus

Graydon Paul
Students can receive resources from the counseling center.

On Oct. 28, 2023, fans across the globe were devastated at the tragic death of beloved Friends star, Matthew Perry. Perry was a public figure who connected with a large audience through his witty and loveable character, Chandler Bing, in the hit TV show, Friends. He made a significant impact on his audience through his acting performances, as well as through his advocacy for mental health and substance abuse awareness. Everything Perry stood for is to be admired. 

While Perry’s cause of death remains undetermined, the public has theorized whether this tragedy resulted from his struggle to abstain from drugs and stabilize himself, or if it was truly a dreadful accident. Regardless of these speculations, his story is an inspiration to all, including Villanova’s community, that it is possible to overcome seemingly overbearing hurdles through persistence and the proper support.  

Perry’s memoir, Friends, Lovers and the Big Terrible Thing details his journey that involved exhilarating highs and devastating lows. He recounts moments that taught him valuable, hard lessons throughout his lifetime. Through the telling of his painful experiences managing fame, wealth and mental health, he aims to spread awareness that all people, no matter how rich or famous, can face serious challenges. 

“My mind is out to kill me, and I know it,” Perry said in his memoir. “I am constantly filled with a lurking loneliness, a yearning, clinging to the notion that something outside of me will fix me. But I had had all that the outside had to offer.”

Perry’s persistent grappling with substance abuse remains one of the largest takeaways from the book. At age 24, when first cast on Friends, he began struggling with alcohol abuse and other substances. Fighting this addiction throughout a large majority of his life, Perry faced life-threatening health consequences and had to continuously attempt rehabilitation. Many people who discussed his lows often only associated them with the “drug addict” aspect of Perry’s battles, rather than his internal struggles.

While it is undoubtedly shocking to hear that Perry faced all of this throughout such a large duration of Friends, it’s important to note that one of his major struggles pertained to dealing with stress and mental health issues. During HBO Max’s Friends reunion special in May 2021, Perry recalled how he put such great pressure on himself to live up to a certain standard when playing Chandler Bing. Chandler Bing was one of the most beloved characters on Friends because of his constant ability to create laughter and joy, and to put a smile on the audience’s faces. What people often didn’t consider was the influence this standard to be “the funny one” had on Perry behind the scenes. 

“For me, I felt like I was going to die if they didn’t laugh,” Perry said during the reunion.

Feeling the pressure to get a laugh unequivocally took a toll on Perry’s mental health. This undoubtedly influenced his capacity to attempt to be free from substances. Perry, like many others in the world, held himself up to an unrealistically high standard that contributed to experiencing high pressure situations on the regular and a downward mental spiral. 

Perry’s hardships regarding stress pertain to many on a personal level, especially for students. Being a student involves a handful of stressful situations that require living up to certain standards. Whether it is maintaining a high grade point average, adjusting to living away from home, active involvement in campus organizations, balancing social and academic life or otherwise, students have countless stressors.

The key, as Perry enforced, is to work towards a proper balance and find ways to limit high stress scenarios as much as possible. He emphasized the importance of surrounding oneself with friends and family who will be supportive figures. 

“Find a friend who’ll quit something with you – you’ll be amazed what that does for a friendship,” Perry said.

Villanova University and the surrounding community care deeply about the health and well-being of students on campus. There are endless resources and outlets in place and are readily available to students. Health services categorize the different modes of well-being that must be prioritized: overall health, emotions, physical, social, cultural and spiritual well-being. Each category lists different services of which that students can fully take advantage,

There are numerous resources available on campus to support students’ well-being, including free appointments for on-campus counseling, telehealth counseling open to students 24/7, mindfulness sessions and student-run mental health awareness organizations like the Bandana Project. These organizations offer various services, providing students with valuable support and opportunities to enhance their overall mental health and well-being. 

One of the most crucial aspects in maintaining a steady mental health involves awareness and support. Perry encouraged all to get involved in supportive communities and stand beside those around us who we think may be facing hardships. 

Perry’s legacy will continue to live on, and he will be remembered in the world’s hearts as an inspiration, ally and friend to all.