Football Set to Take on Stony Brook

The Wildcats shut out Elon in their most recent game.

Coming off back-to-back wins against North Carolina A&T and Elon, Villanova football is looking to move to 6-2 on the season. The ‘Cats are set to take on Stony Brook on Saturday, Oct. 28, as they look to improve their conferece record to 3-1. 

The ‘Cats and Seawolves have met six times in the history of both programs, with Villanova claiming wins in the last two games they’ve played. The last time the teams met was November of 2021, where the ‘Cats won, 33-14. 

Villanova’s last game out was a dominant performance for coach Mark Ferrante and the team as they shut out the Phoenix. Fifth-year running back TD Ayo-Durojaiye leading the way with all three touchdowns and 83 rushing yards of his own. The ‘Cats also racked up 440 yards on the ground, the most in a single game in nearly 15 years. 

Freshman running back Isaiah Ragland had a breakout game, rushing for 126 yards. Fifth-year quarterback Connor Watkins, almost matching that with 125 yards on the ground.

Meanwhile, for the Seawolves, it’s been an all-time worst season for them as they stand 0-7. They lost last week’s game, 45-14, to New Hampshire.

Stony Brook has struggled on both sides of the ball all year long, as it is averaging just over two touchdowns per game. Defensively, it is surrendering more than 35 points per game. 

Stony Brook has struggled to stop the run. In seven games, it has given up a total of almost 1500 rushing yards to its opponents. The Seawolves’ fifth-year quarterback, Casey Case, has shown flashes of brilliance this season, but it’s been a mostly uneven season for the veteran with nine passing touchdowns and eight interceptions.

If the Seawolves are to succeed against Villanova’s recently-stout defense, Case will need to showcase his arm in a way like he did against Maine, when he threw four touchdowns passes and amassed 348 yards. Case will also need to connect with redshirt freshman wideout Anthony Johnson, who had 537 receiving yards and two touchdowns against Maine.

For the ‘Cats to keep up their winning streak, they’ll have to continue showcasing their rushing attack, which features Ayo-Durojaiye.

The game is set for a 2 p.m. kickoff, the second of back-to-back home games at Villanova Stadium.