Restaurant Review: LaScala’s Fire

Maddie Schieder, Staff Writer

Since we are all usually familiar with the plethora of restaurants surrounding Villanova’s campus, especially those in driving distance, La Scala’s Fire in the Villanova Center should be on everyone’s radar. This new restaurant opened Sept. 23, 2020 and has been quite busy.

La Scala’s Fire already has three other locations in downtown Philadelphia, Glassboro, NJ, and Marlton, NJ. On its website, it mentions that the inspiration for the name came from family members who travelled to our familiar city of Philadelphia from Calabria, Italy. To this day, the restaurant is still run by owner Rob LaScala. 

My first visit to the Italian inspired restaurant was on Oct. 9, 2020. A group of friends and I went for a birthday celebration, and it was the perfect accommodation. Villanovans love a good restaurant they can dine at on the weekends to dress up and take pictures with their friends. 

This place checks all of the boxes. The atmosphere is extremely modern, with a mostly white marbled interior. There is also a heated outdoor seating area consisting of couches and tables, managed by a very friendly staff. Inside, the decor is amazing and perfect for photos. 

However, the star of the show (and what you’ve all been waiting for) was the food. My friends and I were pleasantly surprised by the number and variety of appetizers offered, since we all seem to have different tastes. We could all share many small plates to start our meal. When it came time to order the main course, I was so torn on what to order, simply because everything sounded so appealing. The courses mix flavors and taste like a match made in heaven. The ricotta cheese board with honey was fantastic. I would never think to mix cheese with honey, but it was the best thing I have ever tasted. Another unexpected menu item was cheesesteak egg rolls. An American Chinese dish mixed with a Philadelphia cheesesteak was genius. 

For the main course, the portions are very large. However, if you’re hungry, you can tackle it on your own, like I was able to. La Scala’s has everything from gnocchi to paninis. It’s an Italian food lover’s dream. The restaurant is also known for its wood-fired pizzas. My friend got a pie with buffalo chicken, and I feel as though I blinked and it was gone. That’s how good it was. 

Although during my few trips to this location I did not get the opportunity to order dessert, the photos of the restaurant’s desserts on Yelp made my mouth water. We all love going to Starbucks and First Watch down the road, especially because of their convenient location, but next time you make a trip to the Villanova Center, try La Scala’s Fire. Even if you visit just for an appetizer, you will not regret it.