Homecoming Weekend reunites alumni with campus

Chris Scheiner

Alumni and current students alike gathered on campus to celebrate Homecoming Weekend from Oct. 22 to Oct. 24 on Sheehan Beach for the first time in recent years, thanks to the beautiful weather, according to Gary Olsen, associate vice president and executive director of the Alumni Association.

The weekend was filled with numerous events including women’s soccer, volleyball and field hockey games; the Class of 2005 five-year reunion; men’s basketball blue vs. white Scrimmage; a football game against James Madison University; and the Alumni Family Picnic.

According to Olsen, around 10,000-12,000 alumni, family and friends were expected to attend. 

The weekend was geared to bring back alumni to campus in order to reconnect with the life and mission of the University in order to inspire them to invest in Villanova’s future, according to Olsen. 

Homecoming Weekend is one of two main events held each year by the Office of Alumni Relations, which is a part of University Advancement; each year the five-year anniversary class has a reunion in June at the University. 

“It gives me a great sense of pride to see the alumni back on campus feeling good about their connection to the University and still enjoying the experience they had here as students,” Olsen said. 

A successful Homecoming Weekend could not occur without the 10-month planning process, which encompasses all aspects of the University from Residence Life and Public Safety to Athletics and Dining Services, according to Olsen. 

At the President’s Club reception, a 30-city tour by University President Rev. Peter Donohue, O.S.A., was announced. 

This tour will be geared toward addressing the future of Villanova, particularly in the aspects of realizing the Augustinian vision, the next generation of students, national stature, the value of Villanova and the Villanova endowment. 

An extra emphasis was also placed on the football team, not only in that it honored the 1985 team at the game, but also in that the entire University is rallying around Head Coach Andy Talley to win the Division IAA’s 2010 Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year Award, according to Olsen. 

The faces of the alumni were full of smiles for another successful Homecoming Weekend, according to alumna Maura Romita. 

“I don’t attend Homecoming as often as I would like, but when I do I am always surprised by how many friends I run into,” Romita said. “Talking to them brings back so many wonderful memories of my time at Villanova. This year’s Homecoming was extra special because I got the chance to visit with three of my former students from Regis High School who are now students at Villanova.”