2024 Falvey Scholars Recognized

Six seniors were honored with the Falvey Scholars award on Friday, April 26 for their research. The event, which took place in the Falvey Library Speaker’s Corner, included research presentations from each of the students.

According to the Falvey Scholars webpage, the award “is an annual program established by Falvey Library and the Center for Research and Fellowships (CRF) to recognize exceptional undergraduate research by senior-level students at Villanova.” Faculty members nominate students who have produced outstanding research. Then, the students submit their research to a committee of representatives from Falvey Library and CRF. The committee looks

for work that has taken advantage of library resources.

Millicent Gaskell, University Librarian, opened the ceremony with a speech about the award. Faculty mentors introduced each of their students and highlighted their impressive research journeys. Then, the students presented their work and received framed certificates and gold graduation cords.

The six seniors – Anne Eby, Sydney Walsh, PJ Scarperi, Kathleen Jordan, Matthew McMullen, and Catherine Messier – presented diverse topics. Walsh’s project, for example, was environmental, (“Vulnerability to Inland Flooding from Landfalling Hurricanes in the United States from 2016-2023″), while Scarperi focused on healthcare (“Caring beyond Cure: Perspectives of Pediatric Oncology Nurses on Palliative and End-of-Life Care”).

The Villanovan interviewed Eby for her psychology project, “Brain-Behavior Relationships: Assessing the Impact of Repeated Amphetamine Exposure on Stress Susceptibility and Gene Expression in the Hippocampus and Central Nucleus of the Amygdala.” Eby wondered how repeated amphetamine use would impact stress susceptibility in the sexes. She analyzed the behavior and molecular response to stress and amphetamine in mice.

Eby became interested in research towards the end of her college career. She chose to work with Dr. Benjamin Sachs, an associate professor in Villanova’s Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences. 

“By the time my junior year was coming to an end, I wanted to get some research experience on campus,” Eby said. “I was drawn to psychology because it seemed to bring my [biology and humanities] majors together… I thought [Dr. Sach’s] research on mental illness was the perfect fit for me.”

During Eby’s research process, she found support from many individuals, including support from Sachs and her loved ones. 

“Without [Dr. Sach’s] guidance, support and encouragement, my project wouldn’t be what it is,” she said. “I also want to thank Sachs’ lab alum and dear friend, Elise Miller, for giving me the confidence to hop into research later in my Villanova career… [And] my friends and family have been my biggest champions.”

Eby felt a whirlwind of emotions when she learned that she had become a Falvey Scholar. She also enjoyed the award ceremony.

“I’d say it was a mixture of excitement and surprise [when I found out],” she said. “I have put a lot of work into creating a thesis that I’m proud of, Falvey put on a lovely event, and [I] was so impressed by the other students’ projects.”

In addition to Eby, Walsh and Scarperi’s presentations, Jordan presented a project called “The State and the Mine: How the ASGM sector conditions state power and non-state capacity in the Sahel.”

Additionally, McMullen’s showcased his project, “Data Center Environmental Burden Reduction Through On-Site Renewable Power Generation” and Messier presented “The Women Behind the Words: Collaborative Authorship in 20th Century Literature.”

For Eby, the Falvey Scholars award represents more than her research. It is a chance to celebrate her academic journey.

“As part of the COVID-19 class, I think a lot of seniors would agree that we didn’t get much closure after graduating from high school,” she said. “For me, that experience makes graduating from Villanova that much more special. My research has been such an important

part of my academic career. The [Falvey Scholars Award] is a special way to recognize and celebrate my project as my time at ‘Nova starts to come to an end.”

The award ceremony was an opportunity to honor Eby, Walsh, Scarperi, Jordan, McMullen and Messier. Not only did these seniors produce impressive research, but they showcased their diligence and passion. They have certainly left an impression on the Villanova community. After graduation, they are sure to leave their mark on the world at large.