Healthy Week promotes active semester

Halley Milstein

This past week the University’s Office of Health Promotion hosted “Healthy ’Nova Week,” a weeklong event dedicated to educating Wildcats on how to live a healthy lifestyle. 

On Monday Sept. 14, the week began on South Campus with the event “Let’s Get Physical.” Focusing on physical fitness, local sponsors were given the opportunity to introduce themselves to Villanova’s newest Wildcats, followed by a running clinic hosted by the Bryn Mawr Running Co. on Tuesday evening.

Wednesday’s event “Breakfast On The Go” provided students with a healthy breakfast and introduced them to members of POWER, a peer educator program that promotes health awareness about alcohol and other drugs, sexual assault, sexual health, nutrition and fitness.

Today, the Office of Health Promotion encourages students to sign a Live Free Pledge and share feedback on how Villanova can better help the social experience in a healthy manner. Titled “Pop The Villanova Bubble,” this event aimed to eliminate the false idea of normalcy in regards to substance usage around campus.

Friday evening, the West Lounge will be greeted by Robert Butera, founder of the YogaLife Institute in Devon. He will offer insight to his new book, “Yoga Therapy For Stress & Anxiety” that will hit bookshelves this month. The holistic and practical student-centered guide to yoga will show benefits in areas of “health, relationships, work, relaxation, meditation, and spirituality.”

On Saturday Sept.19, students plan to venture off campus to Hershey Park with Villanova’s student group Making Our Villanova Experience. The club is compiled of a community of students looking to form healthy relationships and create sober activities. 

The final event on Sunday Sept. 20 will conclude with a three-hour bystander intervention training directed by the Office of Health Promotion. The lecture plans to help students to be a pro-social bystanders around the topics of alcohol and sexual assault.

This annual event has been running for the past several years at Villanova and has proven to be increasingly successful. It wouldn’t be possible without support from the community and the Office of Health Promotion is grateful for local vendor’s eagerness to participate.

Assistant Director of Health Promotion, Kathryn Poet, stated that the main goal of the week is “to link students to varied health resources available to them on and off campus.”

Most Wildcats, especially freshmen, are unaware of the resources Villanova and the surrounding community has for them. Healthy Nova Week is held in early September so students are knowledgeable of their support system yearlong.

When asked what she finds is the biggest health issues on Villanova’s campus, Poet said, “developing decision making skills around all health topics.”

In order to expedite the development process, the Office of Health Promotion initiated the “Where is the Love?” campaign. Poet added, “Our office believes that love is essential to the life of our community, and that it is the caring of self and others that make us strive to our fullest potential.” Program events will teach “unconditional hand of friendship” as well as how to keep ourselves healthy and safe.

When asked what she finds is the biggest health issues on Villanova’s campus, Poet proclaimed, “developing decision making skills around all health topics.”

In order to expedite the development process, the Office of Health Promotion initiated the “Where is the Love?” campaign. Poet added, “Our office believes that love is essential to the life of our community, and that it is the caring of self and others that make us strive to our fullest potential.” Program events will teach unconditional hand of friendship as well as how to keep ourselves healthy and safe.

Although the week has passed there are plenty of other opportunities for Wildcats to get involved with the Office of Health Promotion all year. Besides attending events, students can become members on planning committees; maintain an internship or work-study position. 

Students can also keep an eye on the Stall Street Journal, Student Health 101 EMagazine, the Love the Skin You’re In Fashion Show, the Great American Smoke Out, and student clubs such as POWER and MOVE for more health tips. Stay healthy Wildcats!