Wildcats celebrate Valentine’s Day with songs and sweet treats

Princess Garrett

Valentine’s Day is around the corner, and you can almost sense the love in the air with all the activities the University has going on. Valentine’s Day may not be everyone’s favorite holiday, but student organizations provide many ways for students who love the day to celebrate. Throughout the week leading up to Valentine’s Day, you can find something different in celebration of the lovely day.

Valentine’s Day bake sales are rampant across campus. Throughout the week, Wazobia African Dance Company will sell homemade cupcakes and cookies to raise funds. Baked goods are decorated for the holdiay, and homemade soda can candy bouquets are also for sale. The Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority will also sell Krispy Kreme donuts, also setting up shop in the student center.

A beloved tradition among Valentine’s Day fans and haters are Singing Valentine’s. For a small price, Villanova members of Singers will travel the campus, serenading students, faculty, and staff. Students can choose to send a four-man band or a six-man group with a guitar. Many students find this a great way to surprise their significant others, and others found this to be a great way to annoy their friend. 

On Feb. 9, the University celebrated its fourth annual “I Love Villanova” day. Students could go into Connelly and take pictures in a photo booth with a personalized whiteboard explaining why they love Villanova. Additionally, the first 50 students were able to receive “I Love Villanova” tank-tops.

Also in Connelly, students could order roses for that special someone. In true Villanova fashion, roses are fair trade, sold by the University’s Catholic Relief Services Ambassadors.

The University will also host, “Chocoholic’s Dessert Bar” in all dining halls on Valentine’s Day. Chocolate covered strawberries, chocolate cannolis, chocolate banana crepes and more will be served in honor of the day.

To accommodate the increase in packages for Valentine’s Day, the University’s mailroom has extended their weekend hours. Typically the mailrooms would be closed on Sunday, but will be open 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., with an expected increase in packages both mailed and received. 

With so many ways on campus to express love for another person on campus, many students find it difficult not to feel excited for the big day. Freshman, Nora Manosca is looking forward to “being very honest about the people that I have been blessed with to have in my life. I feel like there’s a freedom on Valentine’s Day to be open about how much I love everyone.”

Valentine’s day is a great day to show your appreciation for someone that means so much to you. Freshman, Begum Galiv, kept her Valentine’s Day wish simple by saying, “I look forward to an anonymous candygram!” 

When asked what was the nicest thing he had ever done for a girl on Valentine’s Day, Sophomore Dylan Le responded with, “I surprised someone with a bunch of gifts. I tricked her. When she went to the shower, I set up her room with a bunch of gifts.” 

Others expressed how Valentine’s Day was more than just a holiday for them. Senior Shyheim Cousins said, “Valentines day to me always was around my mom and grandma’s birthday. It was always like a sense of genuine love to me.”

“In general it’s a day that people take to express their love to other people,” senior Leslie Gerrero Santana said. “The day shouldn’t matter. You should show love on any other day. You shouldn’t have to wait until Valentine’s Day.”

There are many ways to say, “I love you” and Villanovans embrace each of them, through the giving of gifts, quality time spent with loved once, baked goods and song, all while supporting student organizations and great causes.