Delta Delta Delta to host annual kickball tournament

Haley Millstein

The Gamma Beta chapter of Delta Delta Delta at Villanova University is among the highest fundraising chapters in the Northeast for their philanthropy, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, in the northeast corridor of the United States.

St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, located in Memphis, Tennessee, provides pediatric treatment to children diagnosed with catastrophic diseases. In 1999 Delta Delta Delta adopted the hospital as its philanthropic partner.

To date, the sisters of Tri Delta have raised more than $40 million for children of St. Jude and their families. St. Jude runs solely on donations, and no patient is turned away from treatment.

At the University, the women of Delta Delta Delta participate in numerous fundraising efforts throughout the year. March is Tri Delta’s St. Jude’s Month. Members take to social media to raise awareness and engage with their collegiate communities. Each year, three academic internships are reserved specifically for Tri Delta members.

On Saturday April 16, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. the annual kickball tournament will take place behind Sheehan Hall. At the largest event of the year, students and the surrounding community will join forces to raise awareness and funds for St. Jude.

Co-philanthropy chair and Tri Delta junior, Kristan Coppola, extended her gratitude for past participation and encourages the student body to come out again this Saturday for another great event.

“St. Jude is near and dear to our hearts, and cancer is something most people resonate with unfortunately,” Coppola said.  

Last spring more than 20 teams participated in the event. Fraternities, other sororities on campus, athletic teams and groups of friends helped Tri Delta to reach over $60,000 in donations. Instead of charging an entrance fee to the tournament, Tri Delta asks each team to write 20 letters to friends and family in search of monetary gifts.

Tri Delta member, Myriah Di Petrillo explained how this year’s tournament is different from last year’s for her personally.

“I wanted to volunteer and make the best out of my last kickball event as much as I possibly could,” Petrillo said. “The event is unique because not only does Greek life participate but any group of people can take part in our philanthropy, write letters for donations and play on a team. It brings everyone from all over campus together to sport a great cause.” 

Tournament players and spectators enjoyed a free picnic thanks to the donations of nearby food establishments and campus food services. Dominos, Bertuccis, Wingers, Hope’s Cookies and many more donated to the cause and plan to do so again this Saturday. 

In an intense championship duel, the sophomore members of Sigma Alpha Epsilon won the title.

“Kickball is truly a lot of fun” Former SAE president and kickball champion Matthew McNamara, said. “It’s a great way to enjoy some friendly competition with your friends meanwhile raising money for a remarkable cause.”