Mental Health Resources Expanded at Health Center

Isabella Irwin

The University offers a range of counseling services intended to provide resources for the mental, emotional and physical well-being of students. The Office of Health Promotion works alongside the Student Health Center and University Counseling Center to create a healthy, happy learning and living environment for Villanovans. 

Among the many services offered regarding mental health and well-being, is the recently updated Thrive 365 Online Portal, a digital tool designed to address each student’s unique needs and experiences regarding mental and physical well-being, as well as academic and personal goals. Working directly with students to obtain up-to-date and first-hand information concerning college life, the Health Promotion Staff is dedicated to developing programs designed to target the true needs and well-being of students. The website enlists a series of services offered, including a calendar of campus events and activities tasked with student welfare workshops, pet therapy (starting Wednesday Sept. 22 at 4 p.m. in the West Lounge of Dougherty Hall), painting sessions and more. Student life at the University provides support for students, faculty and staff for a variety of needs going beyond just emotional and physical health, including social, cultural, and spiritual support as well. 

Another resource for students is the University Counseling Center, which is located in the Student Health Center. The University Counseling Center offers individual counseling for all students, free of charge. The counselors are able to discuss a multitude of topics, including loneliness, roommate difficulties, romantic relationships and academic concerns. Counseling Center psychologists assist students who battle anxiety, depression, eating disorders, substance abuse and other emotional hardships. If needed, they offer accommodations for Spanish speaking students with a Spanish speaking counselor. 

Within the Counseling Center, several new support groups are available. Graduate Student Support meets every Monday at 3:30 p.m. via Zoom. For students grieving, Loss of a Loved One meets Mondays at 1:30 p.m. and Wednesdays at 9:30 a.m. A First Year Adjustment Support Group meets every Friday at 2:30 p.m., and the Counseling Center is still determining meeting times for the Sobriety Support Group and Healing Together Support Group. These support systems reflect the current needs and wants of students and can be expanded to address any recurring issues faced by the student body. 

The Sexual Assault Resource Coordinator (SARC) team is additional vital service available to students who have been affected by any form of sexual misconduct. Available 24/7, 365 days a year, staff members are highly trained and extremely knowledgeable in options and resources for students, regardless of when or where the act of sexual misconduct took place. Dedicated to student safety, protection and security, the SARC team is a group that places the needs and wants of students above all else. The SARC can be reached via email at [email protected] or at 484-343-6028. 

For more information regarding the services provided through the Counseling Center and Office of Health Promotion, visit room 206 in the Student Health Center. To make an appointment at the Counseling Center. call 610-519-4050, which can be reached weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. If looking for guidance and tips regarding mental health visit: https://www1.villanova.edu/university/student-life/health-services/health-wellness-resources.html