Record number of Fulbright Scholars

Grace Kennard

Each year, the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs announces the results of the Fulbright U.S. Student Program for grants in the coming year. For 2018-2019, the program recognized 30 University students and alumni and 15 are receiving Fulbright U.S. Student Grants. The sixteenth member of the University’s community has now received this prestigious grant for 2018-2019, making this the largest number of Fulbright awards in a single year for the University.

In addition to the 16 Villanovans to win this award, seven were named alternates and seven others were semi-finalists, all earning recognition with the program. 

Since 1994, the University has had at least one student awarded this coveted grant each year. The Fulbright Program provides grants for students to teach, study and conduct research abroad as it is the flagship international educational exchange program for the United States government.

The University has been considered one of the nation’s top producers of Fulbright scholars for the past decade. Institutions like this are recognized annually in “The Chronicle of Higher Education.”

The Fulbright program promotes cultural exchange in the home, classroom, field and routine tasks. Recipients meet and work with the people of the host country, learning from them and sharing daily experiences. Through this direct interaction, the grantee is able to appreciate and immerse themselves in others’ beliefs and daily lives.

The University’s Center for Research and Fellowships within the Office of the Provost oversees the Fulbright competition at the University which all current students and alumni are eligible to enter. 

The record number of awards this year can be correlated to efforts by the Center of Research and Fellowships to provide increased support to students throughout the application process like one-on-one consultations, writing proposals, and interview preparation.

The 16 Fulbright scholars this year from the University will be traveling all around the world to exchange ideas and help find solutions to international concerns shared by all.

“Villanova University has a history of strong participation with the Fulbright program, and I am very pleased that our involvement continues this year,” said the Rev. Peter M. Donohue, OSA, PhD, Villanova University President. 

“On behalf of the entire Villanova community, I would like to congratulate all of our applicants, finalists and awardees,” Donohue said. I am delighted that so many in our University community are committed to important global issues and that 12 of our students are contributing their time and talents as Fulbright scholars.”