University Announces Election of Four New Board of Trustee Members

Emily Cox Co News Editor

In early January, the University announced the appointment of four new members to its Board of Trustees. George W. Coleman, retired vice chairman of Global Equities, Credit Suisse Group AG; Rev. Anthony B. Pizzo, OSA, prior provincial of the Augustinian Province of the Midwest, Canada and Peru; Anne K. Roby, PhD, senior vice president of Linde plc; and David S. Wilkes, MD, dean of the University of Virginia School of Medicine, joined the 35-member Board effective Jan. 1, 2018. 

Additionally, Mary D. Naylor, PhD, RN—a member of Villanova’s Board of Trustees since 2010—was elected as secretary of the Board. Naylor is the Marian S. Ware Professor of Gerontology and Director of NewCourtland Center for Transitions and Health at the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing.

“We are pleased to welcome George, Father Pizzo, Ann and David—four dedicated Villanova alumni—to our Board of Trustees,” University President Rev. Peter M. Donohue, OSA, PhD said. “They are leaders in their professional roles and in their communities, and I look forward to having their expertise and experience as we continue to chart the future direction of the University.” 

George W. Coleman ’78, a graduate of the Villanova School of Business, retired from his position as vice chairman of Global Equities at Credit Suisse, a leading international financial services company, in 2015. Coleman is an active member of the Villanova community, having served on the Campaign Executive Committee for the University’s recently completed comprehensive capital campaign, For the Greater Great: The Villanova Campaign to Ignite Change, and chairing the Regional New York Campaign Committee. 

Additionally, Coleman served as a member of the President’s Advisory Council and the Villanova School of Business (VSB) Dean’s Advisory Council. In 2018, he received the Rev. Joseph C. Bartley, OSA, Alumni Medallion, awarded by VSB. He is an active member of his local community, having served as a past board member of Shepherds, a mentoring and scholarship nonprofit based in Bridgeport, Conn., as well as on the Wall Street Committee for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Coleman graduated from VSB in 1978 with a Bachelor of Science in Accounting. Two of the Colemans’ children, daughters Casey ’08 and Kimberly ’11, are also University graduates.

The Rev. Anthony B. Pizzo, OSA, ’78 CLAS is prior provincial of the Augustinian Province of the Midwest, Canada and Peru. Before being named Prior Provincial, he spent 12 years as pastor of St. Rita of Cascia Catholic Parish in Chicago. Father Pizzo holds leadership and advisory roles with a number of organizations, including Southwest Organizing Project; Chicago Project for Violence Prevention (University of Illinois Chicago, School of Health); Catholic Campaign for Human Development; National Catholic Council for Hispanic Ministry; and Priests for Justice for Immigrants of the Office for Human Dignity and Solidarity in the Archdiocese of Chicago.

Father Pizzo graduated from the University in 1978 with a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. He earned his Master of Divinity in 1983 from Catholic Theological Union and was ordained to the priesthood in 1984.

Anne K. Roby, PhD, ’86 COE is senior vice president of Linde plc, a global leader in industrial gases and engineering. Named to that role in 2014, Dr. Roby is responsible for the company’s global functions, which include operations excellence; research and development; global procurement; sustainability; and health and safety. She also leads Praxair Surface Technologies, Electronic Materials and the Global Helium businesses. 

Dr. Roby is an involved alumna of Villanova’s College of Engineering, serving on its advisory council and, in 2016, was recognized for her outstanding leadership with the College’s J. Stanley Morehouse Memorial Award. She currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Western Connecticut Health Network. Dr. Roby graduated from Villanova’s College of Engineering in 1986 with a Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering. She earned a doctorate in Chemical Engineering from the University of Delaware. 

David S. Wilkes, MD ’78 CLAS is a leader in medical education, who has served as researcher, teacher, administrator, mentor and executive. Dr. Wilkes joined the University of Virginia School of Medicine as dean in 2015 and also holds appointments as professor of Medical Science and professor of Internal Medicine. A specialist in pulmonary disease and critical care medicine, Dr. Wilkes earned an undergraduate degree from the University before receiving a medical degree from Temple University School of Medicine in 1982.

Dr. Wilkes has co-authored more than 100 research papers, holds six U.S. patents and is founder and chief scientific officer of ImmuneWorks, Inc., a biotech company that develops novel treatments for immune-mediated lung disease. A military veteran, Dr. Wilkes served three years as a major in the US Air Force Medical Corps and earned a commendation medal for service. 

Newly appointed Secretary, Mary D. Narlor, PhD, RN, ’71 FCN is the Marian S. Ware Professor in Gerontology and Director of the NewCourtland Center for Transitions and Health at the University of Pennsylvania’s School of Nursing. For more than two decades, Dr. Naylor has led a multidisciplinary team of clinical scholars and health services researchers in generating and disseminating research findings designed to enhance the care and outcomes of chronically ill older adults and their family caregivers. Graduating in 1971 from the Villanova University M. Louise Fitzpatrick College of Nursing and earning her MSN and PhD from the University of Pennsylvania, she has been a member of the University’s Board of Trustees since 2010.