NOVAdance Organizes First Annual B+ Ball

Peter Caffrey Staff Reporter

The NOVAdance committee of Special Events is planning the first ever B+ Ball. Pronounced “Be positive,” the event is set to raise money for The Andrew McDonough B+ Foundation.  The B+ Foundation provides financial and emotional support to families affected by pediatric cancer and funds research with the hope of one day finding a cure.  The B+ Foundation also pairs children battling cancer (referred to as B+ Heroes) with organizations on college campuses throughout the country as a source of support during this challenging time.  NOVAdance has been paired with twelve heroes.  

The B+ Ball is scheduled for Friday, Feb. 22, from 8-11 p.m. It will be hosted in the O’Dea Terrace Lounge. Hors d’oeuvres will be served, along with drinks.  There will also be a silent auction, raffle and potentially a live auction. Music will be provided by local DJ Zack Verilli, whose credits included opening for Migos. Tickets are $30 for students and $35 for faculty, staff, and everyone else.  Tickets are for sale on vutix.com. The originations founder, Joe McDonough, will be speaking at the event. The Daniel ’75 and Elizabeth O’Dea Terrace is located in the new athletic center. The room features floor-to-ceiling windows, a balcony and overlooks the football field.

Several of the auction items for the event include: a dinner with Father Peter, tickets to Flyers and 76ers,  an “Anytime Fitness” Membership and Health Package ($1578 value), a Besito Mexican feast for four ($400 value), a Club La Maison massage and workout package ($519 value) and a Blue Mercury Master Makeup Class Party for Eight ($500 value).

The B+ Ball is the brain child of Kadriye Hargett, chair of the special events committee. The idea behind the B+ Ball was to provide a different kind of event from students, something that breaks the mold and to capture the attention of people who the more traditional events do not cater to (parents and faculty) and people who might not attend the dance marathon. The event will fundraise and bring awareness to the mission of both NOVAdance and The Andrew McDonough B+ Foundation.

NOVAdance is Villanova University’s student-run year-long fundraising effort for The Andrew McDonough B+ Foundation.  Students organize a 12-hour dance marathon, the culmination of a year’s worth of fundraising.  All money raised by NOVAdance is donated to the B+ Foundation to help families affected by pediatric cancer across the nation.  The average grant provided by The B+ Foundation to families is $1,000.  In The 2017-18 academic year, NOVAdance raised $357,279.32 for the organization.