Men’s Lacrosse Knocks off Marquette in Big East Opener

Nick France

This past Saturday, the Villanova Wildcats men’s lacrosse team notched its first Big East win of the season against Marquette 15-11, on Alumni Day at Villanova Stadium. 

Sophomore attack player Corey McManus led the scoring with seven goals on the day, netting two in the first quarter. Keeghan Khan and Matt Campbell also scored two goals in the first quarter. The offense would put away three more scores in the second quarter to head into halftime with an 8-4 lead over the Golden Eagles. 

McManus scored two more goals in the first 30 seconds of the third quarter, both of them off of passes from junior midfielder Connor Kirst. The Golden Eagles would bring the game within one by going on a 5 goal run. However, freshman midfielder Matt Campbell set up a Kirst goal to put the Wildcats lead back at two before the end of the third. 

McManus finished off his scoring with his sixth goal of the day in the fourth quarter, and freshman Patrick Daly put one in to extend the lead to four. Sophomore Keegan Khan finished off another goal, and McManus scored again to extend the lead to 15-10, before the Golden Eagles scored in the last minute to bring the score to a final of 15-11. 

Villanova goalkeeper, Will Vitton, finished with 13 saves on the day. 

The Wildcats’ next Big East matchup is against Denver next Saturday at 5:00 pm. Tune in on CBS Network to watch.