Murphy Represents Villanova in Olympic Trials 1500 Meter Final

Senior Liam Murphy achieved a personal best in the men’s 1500 meter final at the 2024 Olympic Trials in Eugene, Oregon. Murphy was one of only two collegiate athletes competing in the final.

The 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris are right around the corner. In Eugene, Oregon, track and field athletes across the United States gather for the USA Track and Field Olympic Trials.

Villanova alumni were spread across the long list of events, but current Wildcat Liam Murphy took on the 1500 meter.

Murphy is the first Villanovan to make the men’s 1500 meter final at the Trials since alum Ross Donoghue did so in 1988. Starting on Friday, June 21, Murphy ran the 1500 meter three times in four days.

In Friday’s race, Murphy moved up six spots in the final 300 meters to move onto the semi-finals. He split 39.35 over the final 300 meters. 

On Saturday, Murphy turned around with another spectacular performance. With the top five runners in each semifinal heat securing spots in the final, there was no room for errors.

Murphy closed with a final 300 meters in 39.17 even while going to the outside on the final straightaway to move through the ranks and into qualifying position for the final and a chance at the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris.

By Monday, the 1500 meter final was sitting right in front of Murphy.

Murphy’s time of 3:36.37 in the 1500-meter final is a new lifetime best and is 0.11 seconds faster than his previous best (3:36.48). His time is now the sixth-fastest in school history. 

Murphy was alongside the best 1500-meter runners in the United States. His split of 1:56.59 through 800 meters was about five full seconds faster than his 800-meter splits in the last two races. Seven of the 12 runners in the final have achieved the Olympic standard of 3:33.50 and Murphy stayed within striking distance of the pack until the final lap of the race. He did not qualify for the trip to Paris this summer, but his performance at the Olympic Trials demonstrated tremendous potential. Murphy was one of only two college athletes in the final.

Murphy has collegiate eligibility remaining in all three seasons (cross country, indoor, outdoor) for the 2024-25 academic year.