Villanovans Give One Word About Feelings on Presidential Election

Courtesy of Shutterstock
Villanovans shared one word on their feelings about the upcoming Presidential Election.

Concerned. Anxious. Unsure. These are a few words that members of the Villanova community have used to describe feelings about the upcoming presidential election.  

The 2024 Presidential Election is 28 weeks away. Yet, the race to the White House has been ongoing since 2022, when multiple political candidates announced their campaigns. With fewer than seven months remaining, President Biden and former President Trump are the presumptive Democratic and Republican party nominees, respectively.  

“One word that describes my feelings about the upcoming election is ‘petrified,’” an anonymous Villanova professor said.  

According to a poll published by The New York Times in February, 19% of voters stated that they had an unfavorable view of both Biden and Trump. Additionally, The New York Times reported, based on a Gallup poll published in March, that 29% of Americans believe neither candidate would make a good president.  

“Overall, the word would be ‘unprecedented,’” Jim Ronan, a political science professor who teaches American Government, said. “A former president seeking to return to the office is rare but was accomplished by Grover Cleveland in 1892. However, we now have the two oldest major party nominees in history, as well as the first national election since the pandemic. Also, the former president and Republican nominee is currently on trial and faces a total of 88 criminal charges. Essentially, every day between now and election day sets a new precedent in American politics.”  

Trump has faced four indictments since campaigning for the upcoming election. These indictments are related to business fraud charges in New York, classified document charges in Florida and the 2020 Election interference case (Federal and Georgia).  

“The word that describes my feeling about this election is ‘nervous,’” Lynne Hartnett, History Department Chairperson, said. “The reason why is that I view the 2024 Presidential Election as the most significant presidential election of my lifetime. In essence, I think that in many ways it will define who we are as a country and what we are to be in the future.” 

According to a poll published by NBC News this month, the most important issues to voters are inflation/the cost of living, immigration and the border crisis, threats to democracy and jobs/the economy. Additionally, the poll stated that 64% of voters said they are interested in the upcoming election. This is a low statistic compared to previous years. In 2008, 74% of voters were interested and in 2020, 77% were invested in the outcome of the election.  

“Though this election is uncertain, I am looking forward to voting for the first time,” an anonymous Villanova sophomore said. “By voting, I have the opportunity to have my voice heard in choosing the country’s next leader.”  

Villanovans can prepare for the upcoming election by registering to vote in their home state or Pennsylvania. Villanova SGA, Office of Student Involvement and Office of Government Relations are working in collaboration to promote “Let’s Vote Nova.” This organization works to promote voter education, registration and mobilization for students during the election.