VillaVogue: Who Had the Best Dress?

Students+pose+for+formal+pictures+outside+the+church+on+Wednesday.+
Courtesy of Isabella Leff
Students pose for formal pictures outside the church on Wednesday.

With the end of second semester rapidly approaching, Villanovans are deep into the highly-anticipated formal season. Everyone is buzzing about the fashion shows and photo shoots taking place around campus the night of a formal. For weeks prior to the big event, the major concern of attendees is searching for the best dress to wear for the affair. Wherever one is heading, it is crucial to have a substantial selection of gowns to choose from that are both undoubtedly dependable and breathtaking. It is time to release VillaVogue’s guide to finding the perfect formal dress that will knock one’s date off their feet and leave everyone stunned and inspired. 

Step One: Where to Shop 

A medley of occasions calls for a broad assortment of shopping options. I always need a list of shops specifically for a cocktail, long-dress or “grab-a” formal. I like to be able to choose from a range of prices, colors and styles and, most importantly, focus on quality. 

Below is a list of stores that I trust have prospects for any attire, length and occasion. 

Revolve – High-quality with a large selection. Revolve is an online retailer that carries hundreds of fashion brands. From my experience, I have found the most success finding any kind of dress on this website because of wide access to different styles, varying prices and designer options. 

Princess Polly – An online fashion boutique with quality fashion and an endlessly cute selection. Dresses are sorted into occasions, styles and colors with specific options for prom, party, cocktail, festival and casual dresses, and the list continues. The shop makes it easy for customers to sort through and find an ideal dress given the event. I recommend using this online store for a cocktail formal with a more casual, chic vibe. 

Peppermayo – A very underrated online clothing store with a diverse and trendy customer base with stunning pieces. The site carries a range of styles all at affordable prices and great quality. Specifically, I browse for maxi dresses on this online shop, perfect for a long-dress formal. 

Other reliable shops to keep in the back of your mind include Reformation, Amanda Uprichard, Opolly, Beginning Boutique and Hello Molly. 

Step Two: Pick a Pattern 

Scrolling through my Instagram feed, I was amazed to see the different designs and patterns people chose. I easily uncovered the trends that were of peak interest this formal season, helping me choose which dress to purchase for my events, and now allowing me to relay the information. 

The different fabrics are what struck me the most, with two common themes: satin and silk. The flattering smooth garment never fails to be a steadfast choice of attire for any event. Some of the best styles paired with the slim material were a strapless open back or elegant halter top gown. Stunning and chic. 

From my gathering, the “Shellie” dress was the most popular style for all occasions. From mini to maxi, this dress stole the show. I would be lying if I said I didn’t purchase a blue Princess Polly Shellie mini-dress last month for my formal this week. 

I have a handful of suggestions to choose from if one is inspired by these styles, as I was, including “Princess Polly Shellie Mini Dress Pink,” “Revolve Solene Dress Silver Gown,” “Princess Polly Take Me Back Mini Dress Blue” and “Revolve Halter Turtle Side Slit Gown Powder Blue.”

Step Three: Color of Choice 

Just like the change in seasons, the color preference for formal dresses had a great shift as the cold winter moved to a blooming spring. The two that were without a doubt a captivating pop of color were a pastel yellow and shimmering champagne. 

Yellow: The vibrance of the yellow and the pop of sunshine it brings gives a perfect delicate look. There is a fresh tone and highlight to a pastel yellow that makes a statement and ensures you will be the highlight in any crowd. 

Champagne: Classy and elegant. Something about a champagne-colored dress brings a sense of sophistication to a look, while also maintaining a modern flair. Simply show-stopping. 

Some recommendations I gathered from browsing through online shops and inspiration from other Villanovans attending formals include “Princess Polly Jazelle Mini Dress Champagne,” “Peppermayo Exclusive – Heavy Hearted Satin Maxi Dress Lemon,” “Princess Polly Haley Maxi Dress Yellow” and “Revolve Serita Maxi V-Neck Bias Dress Champagne.”