VillaVogue: Wildcat Thrift

Courtesy of Fiona Lonergan
Maggie Cavanaugh(Right) pictured with Fiona Lonergan(Left) at last years Oreo thrift event.

Are you looking to declutter your closet and bring new items to your wardrobe before summer break? Well, you’re in luck, because Wildcat Thrift, a pop-up thrift store on campus, is coming to the Oreo on Friday, April 26. There will be tables surrounding the area with vendors selling clothes. Students and organizations can buy a table for $10, sell old clothes and keep or donate the profits. 

The organization was founded by Emily Jaenicke, a 2022 graduate of Villanova, who started it during her sophomore year of college after being sent home during the pandemic. With an overwhelming amount of time on her hands and a progressing major in environmental science, she constructed the idea for sustainability purposes. 

The first pop-up thrift event was held a year after Jaenicke’s initial plans in the spring of her junior year. Her inspiration to infiltrate sustainability into Villanovan culture was a success and continues to flourish. 

Senior Fiona Lonergan runs the organization. She took over for Jaenicke last year. As a Statistics and Gender & Women’s Studies major, Lonergan has a natural interest and devotion to environmental science and sustainability. 

“[Some of the motivation for this event is to] support the circular economy on campus, support other students and encourage sustainability,” Lonergan said.

“We encourage people to get groups of friends together and clean out their closest,” Lonergan said. “My roommates dedicate one night and we go through everyone’s closets and ask ourselves, ‘Who would wear this and who wouldn’t?’”

But donating clothes is not the only benefit of the event. Thrifting is an easy way to gather vintage clothing that adds authenticity to one’s style. 

The student-run organization offers students a great way to expand their taste in clothing for an affordable price, while simultaneously getting rid of clothes efficiently. Many college students tend to roll on a budget, therefore looking for affordable and cute clothing to wear on nights out or going to class is essential. 

Students have made up to $700 worth of profits. Thrifting is successful mostly because some people’s old style is another person’s new style. 

“You would be surprised. It’s crazy what people give away,” Lonergan said. “I have bought Zara dresses with tags on them.”

This organization works to be accessible for everyone, even when one may not have a lot of clothes to donate. For example, this past fall, Lonergan led a “Pay What You Can.” For the next week, Lonergan and others involved in this club will be holding the same table in Bartley and Connelly to collect clothes and sell various pieces on a smaller level. 

Above all, the main goal during the pop-up is to increase foot traffic. Lonergan is confident that the Oreo is the perfect spot to hold the event, as long as the weather agrees. 

“We want to get the most amount of vendors possible and the most amount of clothes [at the Oreo] because then we will divert them from the landfill and donate them responsibly,” Lonergan said. 

The organization is looking to reach Greek Life to link the donations to a broader fundraising community. The more word is spread, the more vendors and therefore more clothes there are to sort through and potentially purchase. This organization is also working towards creating a permanent space where people can donate clothes and students can thrift. That way, students can enjoy affordable and accessible thrifting year-round right on campus. 

Attend Wildcat Thrift from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. next Friday. It is ACS-approved. The Wildcat Thrift is a perfect opportunity if one is looking to upgrade one’s style as summer creeps in.