College: What to Know Before You Go

Maggie Fitzgerald/ Villanovan Photography
Austin Hall, Villanova’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

With the dreaded May 1 deadline approaching, high school seniors across the country are preparing to make one of the most important decisions of their young lives. A date all college students remember well, its looming presence generates anxiety and uncertainty regarding how to make the right decision for the next four years. With so many varying opinions and factors to consider, the choice can feel not only overwhelming, but downright impossible. So, what are the essential things one must know before making such a life-altering decision? 

While the student body of Villanova is diverse in many areas, one common thread unites the almost 7,000 college students: their final decision to attend Villanova University. No matter how or why they chose to call Lancaster Avenue “home,” their journey has delivered them to the same Wildcat destination. Villanovans had plenty to say on the matter, recounting the crucial factors in their choice and reflecting on their decision-making process as a whole. 

Junior Lexi Parker thought about many components of the schools she was considering, eventually landing on Villanova as her first choice. Instrumental to her decision was the size of the University. 

“The class size was a huge component for me, coming from a smaller high school,” Parker said. “Now, I know all my professors, and they know me, too.” 

While Parker intentionally sought out a smaller school to accommodate her preferences for college, some students, like freshman Carmie Zuniga, wished that was a factor to which they had given more thought. While Zuniga prefaced that she “loves” Villanova, the realities of a smaller student body were not ones she heavily considered. 

“Something I wish I asked about a little more was the sizing of the schools I visited,” Zuniga said. “I thought I wanted a medium [or] smaller-sized school, but it would have been helpful to have current students’ opinions regarding their experience with the size and how that impacted their day-to-day life.” 

As a freshman still settling down, I can understand the seeming enormity of committing to a college. While it certainly is a monumental decision that will dictate many things for one’s future, I am of the firm belief that not only will things work out, but one has the power to make it work anywhere. Zuniga agreed with this sentiment. 

“I think it’s a super stressful time, but you will end up where you’re meant to end up,” Zuniga said. “Even if it takes a few tries.” 

For Parker, obtaining a strong understanding of what is genuinely important to a person is essential in terms of making the right decision based on one’s wants and needs. Sometimes, having this physically laid out can be a helpful way to holistically evaluate all factors in a decision. 

“My biggest piece of advice is to make a list of everything you would want in a school,” Parker said. “Then, try and find a place that meets most of those things and is somewhere that you can be comfortable.” 

Other students, like freshman Nina Wilson, cautioned of the “prestige trap.” Without denying that reputation is a valid consideration, Wilson urged incoming freshmen to see beyond just the rank of a school when attempting to make a final decision.

“I think there is a lot of pressure to choose [a school] based on the prestige of the school and just how people will judge your decision,” Wilson said. “However, I don’t think that is always a true testament to the education you will gain and your everyday experiences.” 

Wilson believes that prestige can determine the culture of a school in negative and positive ways, creating either a supportive or more competitive environment. However, Wilson believes she could not have found a more well-suited school than Villanova. 

“I always knew I wanted to dance in college, and I thought the team here was suitable for my skill sets and would be a place where I was supported, while also remaining challenged and motivated,” Wilson said. “The size was also very important to me. I wanted to see people that I know, but also have the opportunity to meet new people every day. Additionally my major is philosophy, which, due to the Catholic-nature of the school, Villanova has a really strong program and prioritizes it.” 

Whatever is important to you, whether it be extracurricular activities, class sizes, relationships with faculty and staff or maybe even the rank of the basketball team, it is crucial to understand and investigate these components when committing to a college. This is a time all college students can remember well, fondly or not. And for those in the midst of this process, best of luck.