Lance Ware Enters Transfer Portal

Graydon Paul/Villanovan Photography
Senior forward Lance Ware (14) will have one year of eligibility remaining.

After transferring to Villanova from Kentucky in May of 2023, forward Lance Ware has entered the transfer portal for a second time. Ware will have one year of college eligibility remaining.

The New Jersey native averaged 1.2 points and 2.3 rebounds over 33 appearances with the Wildcats in 2023-24. 

Ware was recruited as a part of the Wildcats’ 2023 transfer class, which ranked as the fourth best in the nation according to 247Sports. Ware was ranked as a four-star transfer recruit after his departure from Kentucky.

Ware is able to transfer a second time without needing to sit out. The NCAA announced that two-time transfers would be able to transfer without needing to redshirt this season. It did so because of a court ruling against its redshirt rule for two-time transfers.

Ware was a four-star recruit coming out of Camden High School. He was ranked by 247Sports as the third-best prospect in the state of New Jersey. He had 16 scholarship offers after his senior season.

The departure of Ware leaves Villanova with three scholarship spots available on its roster. More could open, as entry to the transfer portal does not close until Wednesday, May 1. The decision of redshirt senior Eric Dixon also looms over the Wildcats’ roster. 

Villanova will likely be active in the portal to fill out the roster for the 2024-25 season.