What does NOVAdance Mean to Villanovans?

Natalie Zickel/Villanovan Photography
Students express their motivations for participating in NOVAdance on the Wall of Why.

Anybody on or around Villanova’s campus on Saturday, March 23 was tuned in to the excitement and energy that is Villanova’s annual dance marathon, NOVAdance, hosted in support of the Andrew McDonough B+ Foundation. The Jake Nevin Field House was completely transformed with raffles, games, food, merchandise and, of course, a dance floor. All of the activities were put in place with hopes of raising money to support families with children battling cancer. 

Participating in NOVAdance provides an experience like no other, and with various levels of involvement, there truly is a place for everyone. First-year students have the opportunity to become Sidekicks, and can join the Engagement Coordinators, Morale Committee or NOVAdance Committee in the years that follow. After year-long fundraising events and continued efforts throughout the 12-hour marathon, this year’s event raised a record total of $601,507.81 for the B+ Heroes and their families.

The hard work and dedication that contributes to this success is built upon personal connections to the cause, whether from relationships built through previous years with NOVAdance or from other past life experiences. 

“I NOVAdance in honor of my grandmother, who passed away from cancer when I was in high school, and to spread joy to all of our strong B+ Heroes and their families,” junior Emma Burnham, a member of the Special Events Committee, said.

“I joined NOVAdance because I wanted to be part of something bigger than myself,” Sidekick Caroline Keegan said. “I [was] looking forward to the big day to see the impact of everyone’s hard work on our B+ Heroes’ faces. Kids deserve to be kids, not patients, and parents should not have to worry about bills when fighting for their kid.” 

When the day of the marathon arrived, it was clear that this sentiment towards the B+ Heroes and their families was universal. The emotion and love in the room was palpable from the very beginning of hour one until the final moments of hour 12. 

“I [was] most looking forward to welcoming our Heroes at the dance marathon through the tunnel,” Burnham said.

This first gesture invited the Heroes into a fully-transformed Jake Nevin gymnasium, setting the tone for the series of meaningful interactions that follow throughout the day. The Reflection Room, containing photos and letters from Heroes and their families, along with annual favorites including cornhole, line dancing and Hero Hour presentations all contributed to the day’s enjoyment for students and families.

“The actual event surpassed all expectations,” Sidekick Noelle Barczak said. “Although I was prepared for the joy and sense of community that this event brings, I was caught completely unaware of the true emotion that accompanies it. I encourage all students to visit the Reflection Room next year to focus and remind yourself why this all matters: uplifting our B+ Heroes.”

Every year, NOVAdance brings joy and kindness to campus, inspiring many Villanovans to work hard for its mission of helping B+ Heroes and their families. Though everyone involved may have personal motives for participating in the marathon, we all NOVAdance for one reason: for the kids.